NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NJSWCC At The Movies  (Read 37282 times)

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
Re: NJSWCC At The Movies
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »

I saw Toy Story 3 last night and thought it was really good, a nice finale to what's become a great trilogy.

There's definitely a ROTJ inspired scene near the end with Lotso and his enforcer Big Baby at the dumpster.
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

I went to see Robin Hood last night.  This has to be one of the most often visited legends/stories in the history of cinema, with some of the greatest actors (and not so great) in film having played the role.  And truth be told, I think it's one of the more interesting tellings of the Robin Hood legend.

As with any Ridley Scott film, this movie is beautifully shot.  Robin's origins are tied up in the history of the time as an archer in the army of King Richard the Lionheart.  His band of Merry Men are in tow.  But the circumstances by which things happen are different from previous tellings.  That is, if you're looking back to something like the Errol Flynn version.

The cast is really strong.  Russell Crowe portrays an interesting and more modest Robin Hood, whose origins are as a commoner.  Cate Blanchett is the maid Marian.  Max Von Sydow plays the elder Lord Locksley (the name does come into play).  William Hurt portrays the king's chief advisor, William Marshall.  Danny Huston plays Richard the Lionheart.  Some of the lesser players do a very interesting job with their roles, too.

I think this film has been sadly overshadowed by a number of other big movie releases.  Iron Man 2 was awesome, and then there's the new Shrek movie.  But this new Robin Hood seems to be flying in under the radar for a movie that's this strong.

A sidenote:  I was almost driven to throw my bottle of water at two complete morons in the row behind me at the theater.  It was a couple who just could not shut up.  And the guy even took his shoes off and put his stinking feet up on the seatback in front of him.  Do people REALLY not know how to behave in public?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »

Finally saw The Room in theaters.
I strongly suggest seeing the movie once or twice on DVD before going to the theater.
But it was interesting to see how many more technical problems there were than the DVD suggests.

I saw it once on DVD.  That was enough, but I glad I saw it. 

"Lisa.....you're tearing me aparrrtttttttttt!"

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Jordashebasics

• Jedi Master
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »

Finally saw The Room in theaters.
I strongly suggest seeing the movie once or twice on DVD before going to the theater.
But it was interesting to see how many more technical problems there were than the DVD suggests.

Darth Monkey

• Jedi Council
  • Fool!
    • Darth Monkey on Myspace
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »

That's the one.  The mustache threw me off.  It was so cool that he was still a villain.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

And there are some great cameos by 1980s actors...including one that I learned about on IMDB and I couldn't believe I didn't catch it!

William Zabka?

saw it last night, very funny, predictable but still way funny.

Darth Monkey

• Jedi Council
  • Fool!
    • Darth Monkey on Myspace
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

I saw Hot Tub Time Machine this weekend.  It was hilarious!  It's just a great ensemble comedy and the best showcase of the talents of Rob Corrdry and Craig Robinson in a LONG time.  Of course, my memories of the 1980s are a bit different, but if you were a teen or young adult in 1986, I think you'll go absolutely nuts.

And there are some great cameos by 1980s actors...including one that I learned about on IMDB and I couldn't believe I didn't catch it!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 04:05:20 PM »

I saw The Runaways over the weekend.  It's the story of the band of the same name that kicked off the music careers of female rockers Joan Jett and Lita Ford.    It seemed reasonably true to the actual story of the band and their maniacal manager/producer.  And the soundtrack sounded excellent.  It's not the highest profile movie in the theaters right now, but it's absolutely worth seeing if you're into 70's rock music.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

I saw Matt Damon, Iraq War flick, Green Zone, last night....pretty decent action film, with some real world situation overtones, but I felt like some of the supporting characters weren't too well developed, which is fine, but they were really doing some important things, it would have been nice to know more of their background.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »

That sounds better than my recent trip to the movies with my two nephews.  They wanted to see The Tooth Fairy::)

But I did have a film palette cleansing later that night by going to see Crazy Heart.  Wow, what a great film!

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »

So has anyone seen The Wolfman yet?  I was so busy with Toy Fair this past weekend that I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

I want to but end up seeing Percy with Madison.  Will watch Wolfman this weekend :) 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »

So has anyone seen The Wolfman yet?  I was so busy with Toy Fair this past weekend that I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »

Went to see The Book of Eli last night.  Definitely worth the price of admission.  Denzel Washington carried this movie VERY well.  And Gary Oldman?  He reminded me of all of those great villains he played before he got involved with either the Harry Potter or Batman series'.  Beyond that I'll try to keep it spoiler free.

But in the trailers....WHY?  WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?
Who in Hollywood thought that it was already necessary to remake a movie from 2007?  Generally speaking it wasn't a huge movie, and it was mostly geared towards a British audience.  But it was VERY funny.  Why would you already remake Death At A Funeral?

Pete_Fett

• Jedi Council
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:17:37 PM »

I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night.  WOW!  Great performance by Robert Downey Jr.  And I'm surprised that this came from Guy Ritchie.  He's been something of a one trick pony as directors go, but this actually showed some versatility on his part.  And I think he really was able to capture Victorian era London well.

And it was totally set up for a sequel, too.

My wife and I saw this on New Years - we saw both Sherlock Holmes and Avatar on the same day.

I thought Sherlock Holmes was really well done. The performances of both Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law were fantastic. I'm glad they set up a sequel like they did. I totally agree with you Nick on your assessment of Guy Ritchie as a director - him being behind the wheel of this movie had me actually worried going into it - I was half convinced that he was going to screw it up.

Thankfully, it was much better than I expected it to be.

It's doing well enough for a sequel too - not as good as Avatar obviously, but still enough business for the studios to green-light a sequel.
Peter

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:26:04 PM »

I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night.  WOW!  Great performance by Robert Downey Jr.  And I'm surprised that this came from Guy Ritchie.  He's been something of a one trick pony as directors go, but this actually showed some versatility on his part.  And I think he really was able to capture Victorian era London well.

And it was totally set up for a sequel, too.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 24 queries.