NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Target Exclusives - Discussion  (Read 2734 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Target Exclusives - Discussion
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 05:58:31 AM »

It's certainly possible.  There was certainly a good deal of apprehension among people buying Finn figures until the movie was released.  That, and possible spoiler concerns might be why there wasn't a Finn with lightsaber figure released.

I also think it's pretty obvious that Hasbro was playing things A LOT safer with this movie toy line than they did during Episode I, II or III.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:24:20 PM »

I agree. I'm sure Hasbro wishes they thought of it too. They could have gotten more mileage out of the molds and the figures. On the other hand maybe target was worried there would be too many peg warmers and figured these would sell better.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

Delayed reaction, but I've definitely been a bit puzzled by the Target exclusive Hasbro 12" figure 3-pack.  It's nice to see TFA C-3PO and BB-8 expressed in this format.  And the new astromech droid is cool, too.

But my own favorite Target exclusive?  That's got to be the Black Series 6" 2-pack with Poe Dameron and the Riot Control Stormtrooper.  I think it's a cool set because of the figures.  The "TR8TR" Stormtrooper is pretty awesome.  And Poe in his Resistance uniform is a nice offering, too.

Still, it's a bit of a head scratcher as figure pairings go.  The TR8TR Stormtrooper is clearly from the fight on Takodana with Finn.   While Poe comes from the first scene in the film, as the First Order attacks Kelvin Ridge on Jakku.  Wait, what?!?!  I get the idea for a 2-pack, but this particular First Order Stormtrooper doesn't appear in the same scene as Poe Dameron. 

Honestly?  I think that TWO seperate 2-packs might have covered this territory pretty well.  Have one for the attack on the Jakku village, and another for the fight on Takodana.  Maybe something like this:
-Poe Dameron (Resistance uniform) & First Order Stormtrooper Officer (white pauldron & ammo belt) or the First Order Stormtrooper Heavy Gunner
-Finn with lightsaber & "TR8TR" FO Stormtrooper

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »

Picked up the new 3 pack of 12" figures at Target today.  This is apparently a Target exclusive set containing C-3PO, BB-8, and RO-FLO (an R4 unit).  They have limited articulation like the rest of the 12" range, but it works pretty well for the droids (I could always use more articulation, but these look much better than the regular 12" figures).  The set of 3 is $30.  I assume this exclusive is supposed to coincide with the movie release next week since the sets were in the movie section and not in the action figure aisle.

BB-8 has a ball-jointed head which allows for a fair amount of movement of the head.  It comes with two swappable side panels and 2 "arms" that can be attached to them.

C-3PO - great sculpt.  Ball jointed head, ball-jointed and swivel shoulders, and swivel hips (very limited range of motion).  I wish he had a swivel bicep or wrist joints as well as swivel knees.  However, even with the limited articulation, for $10 this is a great value.  He has his red arm from the Force Awakens and a dull gold paint application elsewhere.  The waist is black with painted cables, and there is some limited paint apps elsewhere (eyes, knees, etc.)

RO-FLO
- no idea who this droid is, but he looks great.  I think this is the first time we have a 12" scale R4 unit, at least from Hasbro.  If he had swivel "ankles" he would be comparable to the old 12" scale R2 and R5 units that hasbro released years ago (which were fantastic).  Very limited paint apps (basically just a few black details over the white plastic body).  The sculpt is fantastic and a nice wash and weathering would really make this figure pop.  Good news - he has actual "cables" on his feet as opposed to sculpted lines that the older figures had.

I'm not a fan of the current 12" line because I don't think the limited articulation works for the characters and troopers, but based on these droids, I think hasbro can repaint/repack them as individual figures and they would fit right in with other, higher end, 12" figures.  If these were repainted they would look amazing, but even without a repaint, they're great. 

I assume R2 is in the works since it would simply require a dome swap with RO-FLO.  I would love to see a wave of 12" R2/R4/R5 units pumped out using this sculpt.  At $10 a piece, I could forgive the limited paint apps and lack of ankle articulation, since they would display very well.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »

There are definitely some high expectations about those Battle Droids.  Bendy legs and arms have been the bane of the Battle Droid ever since Hasbro decided to try something different for them in the post Episode I era.  But in that area my expectations are low.

I'm a little more excited about the new Arena Jedi like Roth Del Masona & Joclad Danva being *somewhat* confirmed.

Pete_Fett

• Jedi Council
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »

Here's hoping that they make the Battledroids out of decent plastic that doesn't warp or bend over time!
Peter

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Target Exclusives - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »

Reposting this for the purposes of discussion!

YAKFACE has posted a report of what the lineup appears to be for the Geonosis Arena 2-packs that will be exclusive to Target stores.  Here's the text:

Geonosis Arena Battle Droid Prototypes
July 12, 2009 | 7:12 AM EST | Jayson

We've received another intercepted communication this morning clarifying details and revealing images regarding the Target Exclusive Geonosis Arena Two Packs.

Here's now the two-packs breakdown:
Kit Fisto & Geonosian Warrior
Coleman Trebor & Jango Fett
Yoda & Droidekka
Roth-Del Masona & Super Battle Droid
Joclad Danva & NEW SA Battle Droid
Mace Windu & NEW SA Battle Droid Commander

Check out a prototype image of what appears to be the new Battle Droid & Battle Droid Commander at the link below for images.

Battle Droid & Battle Droid Commander

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.

anything