New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Thor movie & sequels  (Read 13541 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe - Thor movie & sequels
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »

I don't know about a body double.  But clearly, a role like this is probably going to involve a fair amount of CGI and possibly motion-capture work.  Especially when Hela was unleashing her full powers.

Something did come to my attention about Hela's backstory in the Marvel universe, though.  That being her origins:  she was originally written in the comics as the daughter of Loki.  But she was written into the film as the daughter of Odin.  Given how the story unfolded, I get the change.  But even a change like this doesn't seem quite as egregious as how the DC film universe has been developed and changed.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »

Cate Blanchett was fantastic as Hela.  I think she was reasonably well developed as a villain.  And her story, intertwined with that of Odin, certainly gave Thor a lot to think about in his path forward.

You could tell any shot that had any sort of movement or action, they used a body double.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »

I saw it with my family before Thanksgiving.  We really enjoyed it.  I went in expecting something in the vein of GOTG but this movie goes beyond and ends up more closely resembling Flash Gordon.  The electronica music was great, definitely a lot of surprises, never expected to see a major realm destroyed (even if it is in the title :P ).  Looking forward to seeing all of the MCU come to a head in Infinity Wars.
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »

I saw it on Monday.  I think it was an interesting way to move Thor's character forward.  And the inclusion of the Hulk in the story was a nice way to pick up his story from the end of Avengers - Age of Ultron.

Cate Blanchett was fantastic as Hela.  I think she was reasonably well developed as a villain.  And her story, intertwined with that of Odin, certainly gave Thor a lot to think about in his path forward.

I've seen some people describe the humor as broad.  I don't know that I'd agree with that assessment.  I certainly found it to be enjoyable, and I think that the Sakar angle played up the fact that Asgard was part of a larger interstellar landscape.  And that, along with Loki's actions in the weapons vault, will seemingly tie into where the MCU will be going with the next Avengers film.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »

I agree, very good.  Good action, good humor and lots of easter eggs.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »

Thor Ragnorok.   Took the kids on Sunday, really enjoyed it, by far the best Thor film yet.  Plenty of good jokes and an interesting twist on Thor's behalf at the end.   Hulk was the best one yet of all appearances.   
Marvel is doing a great job keeping he superhero movies interesting and not beating a dead horse with the same old stuff.   

My wife and I went to see Thor: Ragnarok this weekend as well.  It was great.  Definitely in my top 5 Marvel movies. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

Thor Ragnorok.   Took the kids on Sunday, really enjoyed it, by far the best Thor film yet.  Plenty of good jokes and an interesting twist on Thor's behalf at the end.   Hulk was the best one yet of all appearances.   
Marvel is doing a great job keeping he superhero movies interesting and not beating a dead horse with the same old stuff.   
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »

Check out the Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer.  This looks like a distinct evolution in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where they may be some potential for crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy.  Cate Blanchett looks bad@$$ as Hela!  They actually got rights to use a Led Zeppelin song in an MCU movie, too. 

Oh, and who's that at the end?

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:34 AM »

In the interest of doing some housekeeping/consolidation, the THOR movie threads are being merged into a single thread.

Here's a look at the teaser for Thor - Ragnarok that was shown at Comic Con over the summer.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

I just saw this.  Good, fun movie.  Would have like to see Kat Dennings in something more revealing.

As far as the Collector; I thought he was from the DC Universe.  The guy always trying to get Superman b/c he's the only Krytonian and he needs him for his collection.

Anyway, are the Infiniti Stones part of the Infiniti Gauntlet that Thanos uses?

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »

I caught the movie last night.

The extended Cap trailer was indeed VERY cool to check out.  I was actually very surprised to see just how much of that elevator fight scene was included.  And it really illustrated that Cap is more than just some guy who's in amazing physical condition.  It was nice to see some of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, too.  But I'm left wondering about Crossbones, who is also supposed to be in the movie.

As for Thor - The Dark World?  Very cool, but clearly significantly different in tone from the first film.  I attribute that a lot to the change in directors.  With Kenneth Branagh directing the first film, there was an element of Shakespearean tragedy to that film.  Evidently, Branagh had been briefly signed on to direct the sequel but left several months into the development of the second film.  I'm glad for the change because I think director Alan Taylor really managed to capture the dark tone incredibly well.  And from a character standpoint he was able to build on the characters of the first film by giving them all more of a brooding depth that had been lacking from the first movie.

Visually, I thought the movie was stunning.  The Dark World of Svartalfheim really lived up to the billing.  I think that Iceland was the perfect location to capture that stark reality, and it showed how a real location can help so much in setting a scene.  Taylor also managed to expand on Asgard from a visual standpoint without getting too showy.

From a story standpoint?  I think that Taylor managed to establish a very real sense of danger and jeopardy with this story.  And doing that draws the viewer in and makes them care about the characters.  I got that with this film.

The mid-credits scene was great!  The Infinity Stones are going to be a cool story arc that I think Marvel Studios is going to take their time to develop.  And Benecio del Toro as The Collector?  I never saw that coming!!!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »

Production of the sequel to Thor is well underway.  Thor - The Dark World is set to be released in 2013, with Thor and his companions visiting more of the 9 realms. 

Check out this Superhero Hype posting for some photos from the set.

pakledjim

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »

I heard the too-hot-for-theaters Natalie Portman-Kat Dennings sex scene will be on the deluxe edition blu-ray only.
Finaly a reason for me to switch over to Blue-Ray.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:32 AM »

Thor will be out on DVD September 13th.  Wondering what we might get to see in some of the extras.

I heard the too-hot-for-theaters Natalie Portman-Kat Dennings sex scene will be on the deluxe edition blu-ray only.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »

Thor will be out on DVD September 13th.  Wondering what we might get to see in some of the extras.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.