New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MCU - Captain America Movie Series  (Read 13900 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: MCU - Captain America Movie Series
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:51 AM »

Finally saw it last night, liked it better than some of the more recent Marvel movies. Little disappointed with Zemo, but I guess they're setting him up for the next movie. As for this
But I was left wondering how Zemo came to know that the Winter Soldier had a role in Howard Stark's assassination to begin with and knew to search for the files on that particular date.

I believe they said that when SHIELD fell, Widow released a bunch of Hydra files.

Yeah, I was talking about this with someone on another board.  And they brought up Black Widow's data dump from the end of Captain America - The Winter Soldier, too.  They referenced that, and now I remember Zemo talking about how he worked to decrypt the data which led to the intel on the Winter Soldier.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

pakledjim

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »

Finally saw it last night, liked it better than some of the more recent Marvel movies. Little disappointed with Zemo, but I guess they're setting him up for the next movie. As for this
But I was left wondering how Zemo came to know that the Winter Soldier had a role in Howard Stark's assassination to begin with and knew to search for the files on that particular date.
I believe they said that when SHIELD fell, Widow released a bunch of Hydra files.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

I saw it last night and I like it a lot more than I like Age of Ultron; because I feel it advances each character's development more than an "Avengers" film can, I consider the first 2 Avengers film to be strictly for the spectacle, relying on each standalone before it for character development (plus I've never been a Whedon-phile).

Zemo's introduction to the MCU is interesting; I'd have never expected him to be just a Sokovian special ops guy on a revenge trip, it'd be interesting to see how he'd resurface in the future.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »

Would like to know where he got it from and where he was going with it.
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 05:38:15 AM »

To me that was Howard Stark playing fast and loose, like he had during his time with the SSR during World War II and during the events of Agent Carter.  Why would he change?

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »

The big question for me was....

Why was Howard Stark transporting serum in a personal vehicle?  And where was he taking it?

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »

SPOILERS obviously.

Saw it on Saturday with my wife and we both loved it.  I thought the character development was fantastic, especially with Iron Man and Captain America.  I thought they did a great job setting up the tension between the two in the beginning and the resulting battle of friend/ally vs. friend/ally was very well done. 

I was initially unsure as to how I could get behind Tony Stark being pro-Accord, but I thought they handled the transition from free-market capitalist Tony from Iron Man 2 to pro-regulation Tony of Civil War very well. 

The introductions of Black Panther and Spiderman were awesome.  I am definitely looking forward to both of their upcoming movies. 

Baron Zemo was great as well.  I liked that he was one of the first main villains that relied entirely on his intelligence as opposed to his strength (or strength plus intelligence).  He was not a physical threat at all and he knew it, yet he was still able to essentially annihilate the Avengers.  I hope to see more of him. 

I wish we had more of Martin Freeman's character.  I know the movie was very long, but I would have enjoyed a few more scenes with him.  It was strange hearing him speak with an American accent.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »

Good points Nick, I agree.

Here is my big question and only gripe with this movie, (spoilers ahead), I don't have a problem with Zemo coming across the information about Bucky killing Stark's parents.  Maybe he wasn't looking for it specifically, just looking for things to help him defeat the avengers.  Maybe he came across it by accident, who knows. 
My issue is, he went through all the trouble to get the book and activate the winter soldier to find out where the other super soldiers were.  He does all this work, finds them and then decides to put a bullet in their heads while they are in cryo sleep?  This makes no sense to me?  He said he didn't want more of them (winter soldiers) walking around, just wanted to get them (Avengers) to fight each other because he knew he was not a strong enough man to beat them himself.  That phrase alone to me says that Zemo possibly took something (blood) from the soldiers and put it into himself ?  When Cap and Bucky arrive they do say he has been there a few hours so he had some time to do this.  Also, when Zemo is locked up in the end and told that he has failed, Zemo says, "did I ?".   

I think this is setting things up for Zemo to be in future films.  I was expecting and hoping to see more of this character and perhaps wear the outfit he wore in the comics so I was a bit disappointed in that.   In the comics if you know this character, Zemo is a gifted scientist so, I am expecting he did something with these soldiers blood to enhance himself and become stronger.  We will see if he comes up again in infinity wars!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:20:25 AM by Mandalorian »

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »

I saw it yesterday, and there was so much to take in.  It was very much multi-layered, and I appreciate that it took something of a slow burn approach to letting this story build. 

I went into this thinking that Stark was going to be portrayed like he was taking some kind of heel turn, but it was written and performed much better than that.  The reasoning and argument behind the Accords seemed very much legitimate.  And it was easy to see how characters like Stark, Black Widow and the Vision could be swayed to get on board with Ross and the Accords.  I have to say, I really appreciate that Marvel & the Russo Brothers would offer up a story where there is such a great degree of moral conflict between the heroes of a  story like this one.  Life and politics in general are complicated.  And putting a story like this out there where the justification for those diametrically opposed positions have some moral basis is very welcome.

Black Panther's story was very well developed.  And I think Chadwick Boseman did a fantastic job.  I thought his motivation was spot-on, and when he decided that he was going to take his vengeance I don't know what could have stopped him.  My one gripe?  It had to do with Black Panther, Cap and Bucky.  Notably the chase scene in the tunnel in Germany.  When they were running through traffic it took me out of the movie.  Simply because the speed of both the running and the cars seemed off.  This is really my only gripe with the film, so take what you will from that.

I liked seeing the budding relationship between the Vision and Wanda.  That seemed to hold true to the comics in a way.  And seeing the two of them fight?  Remind me not to get on the Scarlet Witch's bad side, because I don't want her altering my density so much that I fall through several floors of a building.  There's also the matter of the Mind Gem.  I suspect that Vision's doubts about his ability to control the Mind Gem were foreshadowing to what we may see in the Infinity War films.

But the airport fight?  Wow.  That was just great!  Spider-Man was awesome.  I really like how he was characterized this time around.  Peter Parker became Spider-Man when he was a kid in school, and seeing him like that was refreshing.  Likewise, seeing Stark be protective of him because he recognized that Peter was a kid added something to Tony's character as well.  And what about Ant-Man?  I loved seeing him get into Iron Man's suit and messing with it.  And then going big and becoming Giant Man?  Whoa!

It was a little odd to see how Zemo's story weaved it's way through the overall story.  But by the end it certainly made sense.  As did *MOST* of the Howard & Maria Stark plotline.  I could certainly see why HYDRA would want to have some video of that incident on file.  But I was left wondering how Zemo came to know that the Winter Soldier had a role in Howard Stark's assassination to begin with and knew to search for the files on that particular date.

I think Tony Stark's place in this story was clearly one of the most complicated.  He was trying to save the Avengers from being branded as some sort of international vigilantes.  He's also dealing with his own personal issues of loss.  We don't know why, but he and Pepper Potts are no longer together.  And he's also dealing with some deep seeded issues about the loss of his parents.  He seems to get where Cap is coming from in his opposition to the Sokovia Accords, but sees this UN resolution as something that the Avengers just cannot deny.  Especially since he bears such great responsibility for the Ultron/Sokovia incident.  By the end he seems to have come to understand how Bucky was being used as some sort of pawn.  At least until he learns that Bucky was the instrument of his parents death.  And I think RDJ played it really well, losing control because he's finally able to confront the person that killed his parents and exact some sort of justice/revenge upon them.

Overall I thought that this film was really strong.  And it left me wanting more from the MCU, as well as the Russo brothers.  I think they know and appreciate the source material in a big way.  The future of the Avengers certainly seems like it's in doubt, since half of its members have some sort of outlaw status now.  But I think that things are going to require them to come together for the Infinity War storyline.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2016, 04:42:07 AM »

I agree, new characters were very well done.  Action scenes were top notch.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »

Saw this today. I'll avoid spoilers for now. Overall I thought it was pretty good. Great to see so many heroes in one film. The intro of black panther and Spider-Man was great.  Also like Falcons upgrades.

I did however think the storyline was a bit lacking. Was also a bit disappointed in baron zemo but maybe we will see more of him in future films.  Stick around for 2 post credit scenes.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »

Great points about Chris Evans as Captain America.  He completely nails the character every time. 

My favorite scene from the new trailer was Antman jumping off of Hawkeye's arrow.  I can't wait to see how they incorporate Antman in this movie.

I hear rumors he will turn into Giant man.

SPOILERS

Yeah, I heard that too.  I've seen images of the new Marvel Legends Captain America wave where the BAF is Giant Man.  Looks awesome!

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »

Great points about Chris Evans as Captain America.  He completely nails the character every time. 

My favorite scene from the new trailer was Antman jumping off of Hawkeye's arrow.  I can't wait to see how they incorporate Antman in this movie.

I hear rumors he will turn into Giant man.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »

Agreed Nick. Iron Man is my favorite comic but the Russo bros have done a much better job with captain America franchise.  There is so much more depth and they relate better to the comics.  iron man 3 disappointed a lot of people by changing the mandarin story, including me.  Can't wait to see how they get spider man involved in all this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.