New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: State of Collecting - The New Economy  (Read 4734 times)

pvwojciak

• Jedi Master
  • "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Re: State of Collecting - The New Economy
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »

Much like everyone else, things have been cut back very much.

While I've pretty much stuck to only 3 3/4 figs and the Hallmark stuff over the years, it's been a lot less.  No Clone Wars stuff - I watch the show, but can't start up another line.  Too much money, running out of room.

As for 3 3/4, I'm pretty much sticking to new characters only or ones that I haven't upgraded since the vintage line.  No more repaints, no more main characters if they're not vastly different than the last version.  My SW room is full of dioramas, so if there's a fig that comes out that doesn't fit in, it doesn't come home.

As for Hallmark, I still get everything, but save the expensive ones for after Christmas (although thus far, I've gotten burned on the Snowspeeder ornament).  The fargon' SDCC exclusives still burn me up, though :)  Can't spend over $100 on a single ornament - not with 2 kids with tuition and a mortgage that has quite a long way to go on it.

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »

I pretty much stuck to my goals for the past year.  If I like it I get it but I have stayed away from the Clone Wars stuff and only pick up new figures and not repacks.  I used to get everything but have scaled back.  I really like the vintage line and will likely continue to pick up all of these figures so that I have one of each carded.  Otherwise I get some exclsuive sets if they are good for dioramas or if they have new sculpts I like.

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

Ok, well for 2010 I pretty much stuck to my goals and only bought a few things I really enjoy...mainly the Vintage Collection (and only select few from ROTS and ROTJ). Passed on so much, and last night as I was organizing some stuff, saw lots of modern stuff that I do want to eventually sell (not for any profit, but basically just to clear what's becoming clutter to me).

However I picked up a few true vintage items and figures over the year. One of my favorites (still awaiting in the mail) is a Luke Jedi Blue saber AFA 85 Uncirulated loose. Although I don't really like AFA pricing adjustments nor the fact that uncirculated means that a perfectly good sealed figure was destroyed, I always wanted a true authentic blue saber. Carded is way too expensive, so I thought this was resonable as this was ALWAYS my favorite vintage figure (well, the green version, but had to get this as well).

How did you all do, and what's your goals for the new year???
"I wanted to see you guys fight over it"
Target Employee

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »

That's right, I remember all your pictures on here. Do you still have all of your collection? Yeah, I love Star Wars, Joe, MOTU - vintage mostly and some new stuff as well. Never got into other lines much but do like a lot of stuff. Dabble in McFarlane (hoping to sell all of it) and LOTR every so often.

Oh, I have A LOT more since then :)  I bought 2 SS 1:1 Busts on Black Friday(Grievous and Bossk).  Both are 35% off which is the best that I have seen.  They will be here next week.  WHat I want to do eventually is go back and collect all MR sabers and weapons.  I also want to buy SS life size C3PO and R2.  Probably next summer I should have enough.  We're thinking of moving down to Atlanta(late 2010 or 2011) so I try not to open much stuffs up. 

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »

That's right, I remember all your pictures on here. Do you still have all of your collection? Yeah, I love Star Wars, Joe, MOTU - vintage mostly and some new stuff as well. Never got into other lines much but do like a lot of stuff. Dabble in McFarlane (hoping to sell all of it) and LOTR every so often.
Target Employee

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »

I used to collect EVERYTHING.  Now, I collect all SW and other lines that I like.  Collect less lines but more hig end collectibles.

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »

Agree. I'm very into the Luke Jedi figure ever since 83. With the 2 current ones out now, which follow a crappy one not so long ago, I'm not seeing the point of getting anything really. But I do like seeing it in the stores - I just don't care to spend the cash to see it at home.

Target Employee

Gaussian Blur

• Full Access
  • Jedi Master
  • I felt a great disturbance in the Force...
    • Kid Kosher: The Hip Hop Hebrew
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »

I have started becoming more selective in what I buy. WAAAAAYYYY to much stuff out there. Much of it sits on the pegs for months at a time. Too many slightly tweaked characters that I can't justify buying ie: R2 Jawa capture, Plo Koon w/double lightsaber, etc. Too many exclusive pack-in figures that end up showing up as single carded figs a year later ie: Zev Senesca, Covert Ops Clone, Shadow Trooper, etc.
Wars don't determine who is right, they determine who is left...

DarthMarc

• Jedi Consular
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »

Great thread. I haven't collected routinely since 07'. I just buy the cool things I like (Vader/Luke/Fett/Obi-Wan stuff).  As an older collector, space is an issue with me...Like Mandalorian said, I don't think Hasbro gets it...WAY too many figure lines, and stuff to collect...This isn't 2000. I see a lot of stuff sitting for months at a time in Walmart/Target.

I think the lack of a movie (live action) has hurt the SW toylines, but my nephews love the Clone Wars crap... It kinda reminds me of the mid 80's, after ROTJ died down...

Maybe George will make another trilogy?
Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »

Yeah, when I moved was basically the same time that I also lost interest in most new stuff. I wasn't really buying much before, but I also stopped picking up the last wave or so of the Joe 25th Anniv. that I was into. Even passed on all the MOTU stuff although I may be turning a over a new page tomorrow when I get that Scareglow, which would be my first of that line.

But the stuff I'm seeing in the stores doesn't look to appealing. Anxious to see some of these newer waves coming out, especially the vintage legacy stuff.
Target Employee

Jordashebasics

• Jedi Master
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »

I moved to Boston (actually Newton) back in May, and I haven't bought a single figure since.  I still check the Target each time I stop there, but they've only had one set of new(ish) figures.  They've been stuck with the first and second waves of the Clone Wars figures, and about two weeks ago, they got the wave with that bug-faced cantina guy.

I haven't unpacked most of my collection.  I still check the sites, and some of the stuff looked nice.  But I'm not sure if I can get myself back into the habit.

Though I've been tempted by some of the 3 3/4 scale Marvel figures...

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »

Before the economy going bad, I started to stop anyway due to lack of room for everything and time.  I stopped all my GG collecting, unleashed stuff, etc.  Im not even collecting clone wars figures.  Just legacy line and new molds of older figures (the good ones) and new figures from the 6 movies.  Its just gotten way out of control I think.  Aside from the economy being bad, there is just too much stuff they come out with now to collect!  I dont think hasbro is very smart either because instead of cutting back on things, they come out with more stuff and I dont think its moving as fast as it did in years past.  I find things alot easier then I used to by just make a few trips to the store instead of fighting scalpers to the door every day.
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Darth Monkey

• Jedi Council
  • Fool!
    • Darth Monkey on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »

Collecting is actually very different for me.  I'm only 26 and not quite two years finished grad school, so the idea of having a full-time job and more expendable income is relatively new to me.

I haven't gotten COMPLETELY out of new stuff, but I have gotten out of it for the most part.  I will buy Willrow Hood when I find him, but otherwise, the Hasbro stuff is done for me.  I'm actually going through and opening all of my carded figures from 1995 when I tailed off in 2008 just to conserve space.  I've been watching collecting long enough to know that, at this point, that leaving something made in the last 15 years in the package makes almost no difference in value since so many other people did the same thing.  I was collecting the Sideshow 1:6 scale stuff, but the recent price hikes forced me to back out.  However, if I stumble upon a good deal, I will jump on it.  The only Star Wars line that I'm still in a completist mentality for is the Hallmark Star Wars ornaments.

The only new action figure line that I'm collecting every figure for at the moment is Toynami's Futurama.  Two figures spread out months at a time is VERY manageable, and even though they cost $15 a piece, I don't seem to mind.  Plus, the exclusives are, for the most part, relatively easy to obtain.

I've wanted to do more vintage collecting for a while now, and now that I can afford to collect that stuff, that's what I'm doing.  Ironically, I'm probably spending LESS on collecting than I was in 2006 or 2007 when I was trying to go full steam with both vintage and new stuff.  I really felt like having the completist mentality was an addiction back in it's day.  So I try to be more selective with what I buy, even in terms of vintage stuff.  I'm actually getting into neglected early 1990s toy lines, which haven't escalated to the absurd prices of stuff from the 1980s.  I can get complete sets of toys for what someone would pay for a basic carded figure from the 1980s!

To me, it's ALWAYS been about the hunt, and I think that's why I don't collect new stuff as much.  It's just not as fun to hunt for it anymore.  The trend seems to be online-only exclusives, and sitting by the computer waiting for a certain time to order something isn't nearly as fun as being surprised in your local toy aisle.  I think that's why I love hunting at toy shows and flea markets.  I'm at the point where I've studied vintage toys so much over the years that I know what virtually everything is and whether I'm getting a good deal or not.  So as long as there's something to hunt for and places where I can hunt for it, I'll be just fine.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »

My collecting has scaled back quite a bit starting back in 2008 and even moreso this year, but not necessarily from external economic pressure, my job in health care is really secure since I've been at the same place for 12 years and I have several people below me and I'm not a middle manager.  Having the triplets this year has been the biggest influence, as imagined, tons of diapers and tons of formula, so my collecting dollars have taken a hit.  I also need to find a bigger house now.  

Another factor in my scaling back is just the mere fact that I, like everyone else here, has been seriously collecting this stuff for almost 15 years, so with the volume I've accumulated, something has just got to give.  So I back off most of the Hasbro stuff, the last major thing I bought was the AT-TE, and that was only because of the $50 price.  

As far as GG stuff, I sold my entire mini-bust collection over a year ago, again, not because I didn't like it, but just because of the volume.  It's not just the busts, but you have to store the boxes also, and truth be told, as we all get older, what are we really going to do with stuff like that.  They pile up very quickly, and its not like the Hasbro stuff, which if I chose too, I could just let my son go to town with when he gets older.  

We are all collectors, so we all know that no matter what our financial situations, we need to collect something, large or small, cheap or expensive.  So last year I started getting into the Sideshow Premium Format figures.  I picked up 3 last year, and maybe this year I'll get one or two, depending on what comes out.  Obviously, the quality is great, they have great display value, and my wife likes them.  So its a good fit for me right now, even at the price point, I'm only getting 1 or 2 a year, so it doesn't hurt too much.  Later when I get a home office, or a home theater, I can see displaying them more prominently, and hopefully that'll satisfy my collecting bug.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:16:47 PM by Falcon »
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »

I'm collecting Hasbro's line almost exclusively now.  A few years ago I was buying A LOT!  But like MadCow I've also moved into a new place.  And with that comes bigger bills to consider.

The current state of the economy doesn't help things.  Like a lot of people I'm worried about job security.  And that's got me trying to save money and not spend it all.

Most Sideshow stuff?  I've got to pass?  Gentle Giant?  They've got some great stuff, but I'm even being tested by my mantra of "mini-busts only!"  Koto?  I'd love to get into the new ArtFX Plus line, but I'm loathe to spend the cash.

And as for other lines?  Please.  I barely collect anything else now.  No more Marvel.  And only the occassional Giants or Yankees player from McFarlane's sports picks line.  And it's all about economics.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.