NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: State of Collecting - The New Economy  (Read 5846 times)

MadCow

• Jedi Council
Re: State of Collecting - The New Economy
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »

I've scaled back completely. While trying to save for our first house and unexpected bills have come up, that's not the main reason. It mainly has to do with the hobby itself. The stuff stores carry either just doesn't hold my interest (SW, Joes, Marvel) or the stuff I really like (DCU) just can't be found and I no longer have the time to hunt it all. The rising prices of collectibles has really effected it as well. I started getting into 12" figures and statues but even those have double in price in the last year alone...

This has all caused me to get back into the vintage stuff. It's harder to find but that's half of the challenge for me. Also, compared to what's out now, it's been somewhat cheaper too...

ephant83

• Full Access
  • Padawan
Re: State of Collecting - The New Economy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »

The economic climate has definitely affected my focus--before, I'd collect anything that interested me, but now, I generally collect only figures that would fit into existing themes I have in mind (e.g., the Cantina, bounty hunters, etc.).  It's certainly reduced expenses.  It's made me a bit less interested overall, but on the flip side, heightened my interest when it comes to certain figures, since I know those will be the only ones I'll be getting in any given year.

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
State of Collecting - The New Economy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:03:35 AM »

I haven't been as active as I should on here lately, especially as a moderator. That will change.

So as with anything else, the current economic climate has made for some major choices and scaling back with collecting. However, I think that this may also lead to some regrets as the things I'm passing (which are already scaled back in retail/production) may turn out to be a good investement as well. No secret that I'm basically a vintage collector, but even that's been scaled back since purchasing a condo this time last year and having to replace a 10 year old car last month.

So what's everyone doing these days - focus, % of money being spent compared to previous years, higher/lower interest, aggressiveness in the hunt?
"I wanted to see you guys fight over it"
Target Employee
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.

anything