New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Packaging  (Read 1363 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: 2010 Packaging
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »

Check out THIS OFFICIAL SITE ARTICLE on the 2010 Clone Wars packaging:

2010 Star Wars Packaging Revealed

January 13, 2010

Collectors and consumers of Star Wars merchandise will discover a new look across all product lines this fall -- a striking "Clone and Sky" design that delivers a fresh, stylized look capturing the spirit of the Star Wars saga. Bill Concannon, principal at packaging design firm PILOT, answered a few questions about the new look, which is scheduled to start hitting store shelves on August 1, 2010:

The new "Clone and Sky" banner packaging is stunning -- very evocative of a World War II -style propaganda poster. Can you describe how this design came to be?

At PILOT, we start every project with a "deep dive" into the story as we look for inspiration. For the 2010 Star Wars brand packaging style guide, the "Clone and Sky" concept first began at PILOT with a very tight crop into the eyes of Anakin Skywalker looking off into the distance. This concept evolved as we began to discuss other characters that we felt, in discussion with Lucasfilm, could best represent the 2010 Clone Wars brand look. The idea of having Rex as the face of the Star Wars brand in 2010 quickly rose to the top.

Rex is a strong, courageous character who is clearly one of the heroes of The Clone Wars. However, we were reluctant to use Rex because a very powerful attribute to our initial concept was the ability to look into the character's eyes, and Rex's helmet took away the emotional connection of eye contact. Recognizing this void and understanding the need to bring emotion and intensity back into the artwork, PILOT co-founder Chris Ford digitally painted an incredibly strong visual element with the ominous "blue sky", giving the effect that you are on the frontlines in the Clone Wars.

One of the most interesting features of the new design is the cloud background -- a refreshing choice for product packaging designed to sell a space saga.

From a PILOT perspective, it is imperative that we have the packaging look and feel like the show. For 2010, the foreboding blue sky came to symbolize both the war taking place as well as foreshadow the gloomy future for the Republic. Additionally, we were cognizant that the Clone Wars battles take place in parts of the galaxy that have earthly skies. Similarly to other signature Star Wars icons, it seemed natural that the environment (in this case the blue sky) should be a key element to help represent the 2010 Star Wars brand.

What impression do you hope to leave with consumers of Star Wars products with the new line look?

The intensely cinematic visuals and sound of the new Clone Wars episodes provided a springboard of inspiration for PILOT. The characters, art and story are incredibly engaging and unlike any other story out there! PILOT's motivation was to create brand packaging elements that did justice to the hard work, creativity, inspiration and craftsmanship that Lucasfilm delivered in the series.

Could you briefly discuss the design for the action figure cardbacks?

The creation of the action figure card backs is always the most enjoyable part of the design process, simply because they have such a special place in everyone's heart. Alternately, it is a bit of a double-edged sword for PILOT because it heightens the level of criticism that will inevitably be received. Many feel that past action figure card backs have been too clever or custom. However, one thing is certain: everyone loves the characters and the fantastic artwork that represents them. Keeping all this in mind, PILOT wanted to create a shape and design that was more simple than in year's past, but still unique. By keeping the design simple, PILOT was able to maximize the canvas area of the card to show more character art. For the 2010 Star Wars action figure card backs, you will see a large area, top to bottom, fully dedicated to the Star Wars characters that we love. We hope that you enjoy!

For more information on PILOT, please visit their website at creativepilot.com .

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:18:34 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: 2010 Packaging
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »

More examples of the new packaging have turned up in THIS YAKFACE FORUM POSTING.  And it seems that Captain Rex will be featured on OT, PT and Clone Wars packaging.  At least that's the way it looks for LEGO's packaging.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
2010 Packaging
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »

In my discussions with Hasbro's Derryl DePriest at San Diego Comic Con this past July, he revealed that there would be a change in the packaging set for the fall of 2010.  You can check out my report about that IN THIS JTA ARTICLE.

And now you can check out the new Clone Wars packaging as shown in THIS YAKFACE POSTING.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.