NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay - Collecting Stories (Buyers & Sellers)  (Read 3001 times)

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
Re: eBay - Collecting Stories (Buyers & Sellers)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »

The rate for USPS has gone up this week.  So make sure to look first before you post or you have to eat the difference.  I don't like the fact that seller can't give buyers feedbacks.  It should be 2 way street.

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »

I used to sell (with a partner) celebrity candid photo's back around 98 - 02 before everyone flooded the market. I used to worry so much about the negative feedback. Twice I was hit - totally without warning and that was even as I offered full refund/no questions. But now I don't care...problems I had with buyers when it came to toys and such have always been handled and I never received negative feedback for anything like that. Same with me as a buyer - the one time I bought something and wasn't happy with condition was via mail w/ Plastic Dreams (when they existed) and when buying a carded Joe on eBay. Those times I got stuck with the items...but knowing I could resell, I wasn't to concerned.

Soon I will be listing stuff on eBay and I'm sure that I'll have some stories to post here!
"I wanted to see you guys fight over it"
Target Employee

Darth Monkey

• Jedi Council
  • Fool!
    • Darth Monkey on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »

One thing I really do have a problem with is eBay's feedback system.  There are a lot of people buying on eBay, and an awful lot of them are idiots.

Case and point: I was looking through the feedback of a seller who had received four negative feedback ratings in the last six months.  I looked at the reasons for this negative feedback.  All of them pretty much pointed to the same thing: Item not as described.  Here's the problem though: this guy posted PICTURES.  He's probably not a dealer full time and didn't know what he was selling.  Case and point: He listed an auction for an Energon Starscream for Transformers.  It wasn't an Energon toy.  Instead, it was a G1 Skywarp.  He posted the picture and he said "what you see is what you get."  He didn't do his research, but when you post a picture with something, in my opinion, that supercedes anything in the description.

Then there's the dreaded "star" rating system.  Positive feedback isn't good enough.  Now, a buyer can rate your ability to pack and ship something.  One category that people get nailed on CONSTANTLY is the shipping cost.  Here's my beef: If a seller lists the shipping cost PRIOR to the end of the auction, how can you possibly have a problem with it?  They've made it abundantly clear what you will pay for shipping.  The other problem is that I don't think many people appreciate how expensive it is to ship items anymore.  The post office has steadily risen their rates over the past couple of years.  And people still think that leaving three or four star ratings is perfectly acceptable.  I have seen some sellers say "Only purchase if you plan on leaving five stars for feedback."

Anybody else seen anything crappy along these lines?

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:21:23 PM »

Yeah, I had a horrible experience with an eBay buyer from Italy, but I don't think it was a scam. Just unbelievably annoying over Masters of The Universe figures (the commerative ones from a few years ago). Wanted to do Western Union...wanted me to figure out where he'd send that. E-mailed me constantly and nothing really made sense. I relisted the items, he got mad - just didn't care.

But as a seller, I never really had a major problem. But I will definately do the signature confirmation's when I start listing stuff again. I'm looking to off some vintage era stuff...and don't really want to deal with overseas buyers. As a buyer I had a few cases where I never received items, but then eventually did - always a story, but it always worked out. As far as condition, I started sticking with reasonably priced AFA stuff and never had a problem with that.
Target Employee

MadCow

• Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

I used to take Western Union all the time but haven't in probably 4 years. It's really sad how things change. I remember the good ole days of Ebay where it was all just friendly transactions and no one was out to screw anyone. Heck, I remember I used to mail my monthly fees to ebay in the form of a money order or personal check because they didn't take credit cards yet!

Regardless of all the horror stories, I still continue to sell on Ebay. It's the only way to get a fair amount for anything anymore and most of it is all overseas buyers which I'm fine with.

As for buying, I don't do much for various reasons.

Darth Monkey

• Jedi Council
  • Fool!
    • Darth Monkey on Myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »

Italy is notorious for some reason.  However, it's not just the buyers or sellers.  Apparently, the Italian post office has no problem opening mail before sending it out.  I have done one Italian transaction outside of eBay, and I had no problems.  The guy paid through PayPal though.

Most of what I buy on eBay anymore has something to do with Mr. T, just because I'm tired of losing out at auctions at the last minute on other toys.

I did do one auction this year through Brazilian eBay, Mercado Livre.  I had to send money through Western Union for that, but I did have a successful transaction.  I don't have too many eBay horror stories, but I don't buy or sell as much as a lot of other people do.

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »

I have been selling on EBay a lot.  In all the years, I only had one bad experience with a buyer from Italy who ripped me off.  Ebay is protecting the buyers more than the sellers.  That's why a lot of sellers have left them.  If you ship an expensive items, protect yourself and make sure signature is required and insure it.  Don't be cheap because you never know.  Also, if a buyer keeps filing wrong items, Ebay will see that too so you can't abuse it too much.  Try to ship within the US as much as possible.  For some reasons, buyers from Italy do scam a lot.  Don't ask me why but other sellers will tell you.

Don't take Western Union payment.  Another scam.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:25:11 AM by Darth Wallet »

frehleyzcomet

• Jedi Master
eBay - Collecting Stories (Buyers & Sellers)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »

Looking to see what experiences everyone has had with eBay in the past year...both in terms of buying and selling. I haven't sold anything nor purchased much from the site in the past year, mostly due to lack of interest in wanting things - I only really made one big buy, and that was a sealed ROTJ Falcon...and there were no problems. Recently though I've been reading up on some current scams (beyond the normal stuff that happens) where people buy something from a seller, Paypal dispute it as not as described, get their money back, and ship back a different item to the seller...so basically you're at risk if you sell on-line. Then as a buyer, you always have to worry about not receiving the item, not receiving what was described, etc. Seems like eBay helps a buyer out more (which is great) but that return trick really concerns me as I'd like to start selling some random things this year.

Any things like this happening around here???
Target Employee
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 23 queries.