New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars in 3D  (Read 2727 times)

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
Re: Star Wars in 3D
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »

I think the difference is Avatar was meant to be in 3D.  Not sure how other movies convert to 3D will be like.

Chris, did you check out all the new 3D TV coming out this year?  I am going to get one :)

Yeah, I was going to buy the Samsung LEDTV but I think I'm actually going to wait a bit longer to get a full 3D setup both 3D Blu-ray Player and 3D TV. Cameron was asked about Avatar on BLu-ray 3D, he said it will first come out on standard Blu and then maybe like 3-6months later come out in 3D for the 3D enabled Blu-ray players. Ahhh home theater will never be the same =)

I thought PS3 can be updated via firmware to be able to play 3D movie?  I also heard there are a few different formats of 3D right now.

Clone Commander

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Go Marty!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »

Yeah I can see Lucasfilm dragging their feet on the 3D trilogy.
I think mostly because of cost though. Technology has caught up but still costly.
Avatar's production cost were in the range of 280 to 350 million.
That's pretty steep even for Lucas.

However with the success of Avatar I can see Fox
perhaps footing some of that bill to make it happen.
Given todays dollar value it wouldn't be out of the question for three OT movies in 3D
to bring in a worldwide box office of at least 1.2-1.5 billion easy.
and that's if uber nerds like me only see each movie only once! hehe

I'm betting we see a clone wars movie in IMAX 3D before any of the OT though.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

Rick McCallum was talking about this back in 2005 at Celebration 3.  He lead people to believe that the classic trilogy was going to be revisited in 3D.  He seemed incredibly enthusiastic about it, saying that the opening scene of A NEW HOPE was one of the test items and it really made the Star Destroyer look completely amazing.  The thing is, that was 5 YEARS AGO.

We still haven't seen either the OT or the PT in any kind of HD format.  I'd expect that before any kind of 3D offering.  It's funny though.  Lucas has been a pioneer in terms of presentation.  THX sound, digital projection, etc.  But he's dragged his feet on DVD.  BluRay hasn't been mentioned at all for the movies (but Clone Wars has).  And now 3D?  I don't know.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Clone Commander

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Go Marty!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »

I think the difference is Avatar was meant to be in 3D.  Not sure how other movies convert to 3D will be like.

Chris, did you check out all the new 3D TV coming out this year?  I am going to get one :)

Yeah, I was going to buy the Samsung LEDTV but I think I'm actually going to wait a bit longer to get a full 3D setup both 3D Blu-ray Player and 3D TV. Cameron was asked about Avatar on BLu-ray 3D, he said it will first come out on standard Blu and then maybe like 3-6months later come out in 3D for the 3D enabled Blu-ray players. Ahhh home theater will never be the same =)

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

Clone Commander

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Go Marty!
Star Wars in 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »

George Lucas was so impressed with the Avatar’s technology that he thinks it could help pave the way for creating 3-D versions of his “Star Wars” movies.

“We’ve been looking for years and years and years of trying to take ‘Star Wars’ and put it in 3-D,” George explained to Access. “But, the technology hasn’t been there. We’ve been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen.”

[AccessHollywood]

Wow if it's anything near as good as Avatar looked on IMAX 3D they it would be like seeing the original trilogy for the first time again!  :D Thank you James Cameron!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.