NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE - IN 3D  (Read 8660 times)

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
Re: STAR WARS EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE - IN 3D
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »

10 months?  Wasn't Rick McCallum talking about this back at Celebration III in Indy?  That was back in 2005, and I think that's the first time I heard anyone from within Lucasfilm touting 3-D presentation.  Granted, I have yet to see the movie in 3-D myself, but I'm not very enthusiastic about the 3-D experience based on the reviews I've read.

Yes, 10 months is the actual time it took for the conversion.  I thought back in 2005, they were pushing for Digital in theater, not 3D.  I only hear about 3D after Avatar came out.  The problem is Lucas tried to be different so instead of eye popping 3D like other conversion, they went for sublimal 3D.  Which is really dumb to me.  For me, 3D should let the viewer "immerse" in the movie.  I don't care about the pop out gimmicky but it would be nice to see one or two.  I will go and see Titanic in 3D and see if there are any difference. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

10 months?  Wasn't Rick McCallum talking about this back at Celebration III in Indy?  That was back in 2005, and I think that's the first time I heard anyone from within Lucasfilm touting 3-D presentation.  Granted, I have yet to see the movie in 3-D myself, but I'm not very enthusiastic about the 3-D experience based on the reviews I've read.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »

what shock me is this movie took 10 Months to convert !!!!  I always though that Lucas will convert this in house and not out sourced it to another company(which also did horrible jobs with other movies conversion).  I hope they will listen to the feedbacks for EP 1 and improve on the next one. 

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

Yea, 3D didn't add very much.  Just some depth in some scenes.

There were even scenes where I took my glasses off to clean the lens, and I noticed that the scene wasnt even in 3D! 

Yes, it didn't appear every scene had been converted.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

There were even scenes where I took my glasses off to clean the lens, and I noticed that the scene wasnt even in 3D! 
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

Saw with my son today and I agree David, not at all impressed. Was excited goin in, disappointed and won't bother seeing the rest.
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »

Glad it wasn't just me, I was wondering if it was my theater, since I went to the neighborhood AMC instead of the larger mega multiplex in Cherry Hill...

I didn't notice any blurriness, which I'm hearing there was a lot of, for me it was just the lack of brightness, which is a common complaint with 3D...

Still, it's nice to have another theatrical release, even if it takes 3D to justify it...
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

Well,
I saw it today with my daughter after picking her up from school.  I have heard a lot of bad reviews on the 3D so going in, I had low expectation for it.  Still, I was very disappointed with the 3D.  I have watched a lot of 3D movies recently at home and a lot of them are very good conversions.  Unfortunately, I am not sure why they even bother with this conversion.  I saw a lot of ghosting and had to check my glass to make sure I had the right one.  I realize from reading the interview with John Knoll that they only want to add some depth to the movie and no gimmicky pop outs.  But I can't tell when they added the 3D except for a few scenes.  The Pods race is probably the only one that stands out.  They really missed it on the battle between the Gungans and the droids. 

I think conversion of old live action movies to 3D doesn't work.  It only works on animated movies like Beauty and the Beast and such.  I will wait and see if Titanic will be better since this is Cameron's specialty.

So, is it worth it to watch this in 3D?  No.  But, for me, it's nice to be able to watch this with my daughter on the big screen.  Truly disappointed with the 3D and it's as flat as Clash of the Titans IMO.  On top of that, my AMC didn't receive the special Maul 3D glasses.  Bummer.  I was hoping to get a few for my 3D glasses collection.  So if you go see this and don't need the Maul glass, please save them for me. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »

That's disappointing to hear.  I had actually been hoping that the 3-D would really give the pod race a lot more intensity.

I still haven't made any firm plans for when I'll be seeing the movie.  My weekend is just really tied up.  And I actually met up with the hosts of SW Action News today in Manhattan.  They're in town for Toy Fair, and we were able to hang out for a little while before they headed to see TPM 3-D at the Ziegfeld.  They have 1200 seats at that theater, and from what the SWAN folks were telling me the showing they were planning on seeing at 3:30 this afternoon was far from sold out.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »

Saw a 1 p.m. show today...got the Maul glasses, and a Jango fighter pod (which are even smaller than I expected.

the image was very, very dim in my theater...not happy about it.
I thought the 3D was subtle, not really in your face, I don't think it really added anything, but then again, it's still The Phantom Menace.

Having not watched it on Blu-ray yet, this was my first time seeing it with the CGI Yoda. Looks really good, more natural, even better than he looked in ROTS.
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »

Got my midnight tickets @ Loew's Cherry Hill.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »

What theater are the South Jersey people going to for midnight?  Some theaters are posted showtimes online. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »

The theaters definitely seem to be ramping up towards the release.  I was at the movies on Monday night to see "The Muppets" and there was a big standee with Darth Maul & Qui-Gon Jinn with a face cutout.

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:43:14 AM »

Definitely will take my daughter.  Debating on my younger son.  Not sure he will sit for the whole movie.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.