New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning figures after flood damage :(  (Read 2002 times)

Falcon

• Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
Re: Cleaning figures after flood damage :(
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »

You could try a detergent called "Dapple", I think they sell it in Target.  It's basically a very mild detergent with natural ingredients used to clean baby toys, especially ones that they put in their mouth.  It's probably the most mild thing out there.  Its in a bottle like a normal dish detergent, and also a spray.

http://www.dapplebaby.com/
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Cleaning figures after flood damage :(
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about your flood damage Ron.  I hope you're able to get your place cleaned up soon.

As for cleaning the figures?  I wouldn't try to clorox wipes.  I just don't know what's in them.  You might want to try warm water and liquid dish detergent.  It shouldn't be too abrasive.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

gonzoron

• Jedi Knight
Cleaning figures after flood damage :(
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »

Hey guys...

long time no see. :)

(if my sob story starts to get boring, skip down to the bottom for the pertinent question)

I used to be pretty active here maybe 4 or 5 years ago.  Well, I got married, had kids, bought a house.  SW Figure collecting started falling by the wayside (shocker, I know!) so I stopped visiting here. 

Well, like the old friend who only comes by when he needs something, here I am.  Hurricane Irene kicked our ass a bit.  Power was out for 33 hours, and with no power to the sump pump, the finished basement flooded with about 3 inches of water.  Doesn't sound that bad, could have been worse, etc.  But we didn't have time to save everything that was on the floor, (some but not all) so a lot of stuff got damaged.   Including two boxes of carded figures at the bottom of the stack in my closet.

Now, this was a mixed blessing.  The figures were still carded in boxes at the bottom of the basement closet for a reason.  Since I moved in with my wife, 6 years ago, we never had a good place to display the figures, so they'd been in storage.  As I kept buying figures, I didn't open them, just put them in storage with the others.  So when we bought our house and finally had a good display area, I pulled out all my open figures and put them on display, which took up a wall in the basement.  A nice, reasonable collection space.  But there were several boxes of unopened figures still in the closet.  It became clear that I have way more SW figures than a sane person needs (no offense, guys. ;) ).   So my plan was to go through them, picking the ones I wanted to keep and sell off the rest.   But the hurricane forced my hand.

Almost all the cards in the affected boxes are water damaged.  There's no way I could ever sell them carded, so I opened all of the affected figures.  (This is the mixed blessing part.  I felt a bit like a kid at Christmas; opening figures is always fun, even in dire times.) Thankfully, the figures themselves are in pretty good shape.  About half of them were still completely dry, and the rest were wet in varying amounts from barely to soaked.   Most of the soft goods were spared, and I think I can blow dry the few cloaks that got wet.

====================
Now, the question...  what's the best way to clean the ones that got wet, so as to prevent mildew, microbes or anything else growing on them?  Will a clorox wipe damage an action figure? (either immediately, or by leaving a slowly damaging residue)  Should I just rinse them in clean water?  Soap?  any ideas?

Thanks guys, for any info you can give an old forgotten pal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:51:34 PM by gonzoron »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 23 queries.

anything