New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GI JOE - Retaliation - The Toy Line  (Read 4694 times)

DavAnthony

• Full Access
  • Jedi Master
Re: GI JOE - Retaliation - The Toy Line
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

I never bought the 3D exscuse, despite what came out of the director and crew.  They have probably signed NDA's and various other legal documents stating that they will do whatever Paramount and Hasbro tell them to do.  A director like Chu doesn't necessarily have a lot of clout either so the last thing he wants to do is annoy a major studio.  So if they say "hey Jon, tell everyone it was a 3d conversion thing", he is going to say "no problem". 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »

GI Joe movie was delayed because they want to convert it to 3D.

There's rumor that Disney wants to buy Hasbro.  Is that true?

I just don't buy the 3-D process excuse.  I think you had posted that the movie tested REALLY poorly.  To me that says that they probably did a good deal of re-writing and additional principal photography.  That very likely means major budget overruns.

There's rumor that Disney wants to buy Hasbro.  Is that true
No, Disney has dismissed this.

But that's always what a company will say if they're trying to take over another company.  Takeover deals only get publically announced if they're hostile or both parties have already agreed to the terms.

Battleship was a bomb, but after seeing it on HBO, I didn't think it was a bad movie, just got stuck coming out 2 weeks after the Avengers. The Transfomers trilogy grossed over $2.5 billion worldwide and the 1st GI Joe grossed $300 mil.  Sure, Spielberg and Bay likely take a chunk of that but where does all of that money go?

It was seeing Battleship on HBO that actually got me thinking about this whole situation with Hasbro now being in the movie business.  As for what percentage of the profits go to Hasbro?  That's very much unclear.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:29:18 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

Battleship was a bomb, but after seeing it on HBO, I didn't think it was a bad movie, just got stuck coming out 2 weeks after the Avengers. The Transfomers trilogy grossed over $2.5 billion worldwide and the 1st GI Joe grossed $300 mil.  Sure, Spielberg and Bay likely take a chunk of that but where does all of that money go?
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

pakledjim

• Jedi Council
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »

There's rumor that Disney wants to buy Hasbro.  Is that true
No, Disney has dismissed this.

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

GI Joe movie was delayed because they want to convert it to 3D.

There's rumor that Disney wants to buy Hasbro.  Is that true?

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I start thinking that between this line (and the associated movie), along with the Battleship movie might be partially related to the current state of things we're seeing from Hasbro in the Star Wars line.  I get the sense that Hasbro getting itself involved (more directly) in the movie business may have been an unwise move, and it may have cost Hasbro a serious ammount of money.

Battleship was a major bomb.  It cost some $200 million to make the movie, and it only grossed $65 million in the US.  The international numbers were not impressive.

And then there's GI Joe - Retaliation which essentially got pulled from it's original release date last year.  It sounds like the movie had major problems and needed to be seriously overhauled.  All the while the toy line was released and then reportedly was going to be pulled from the shelves.

And then there was the news from the investor conference call that preceded Toy Fair.  Hasbro's CEO called on their various units to cut costs and to cut the number of SKU's for each license.  Lo and behold, we saw that the Star Wars line has been scaled back considerably with a focus on serious cost cutting.

Coincidence?  Hmmmm.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

I saw these figures at Target today and was really impressed by them.  I hardly collect 3 3/4" figures any more, but these figures looked great.  Unfortunately, at $10 a pop, I couldn't pull the trigger.  I will wait and see if they reduce the price before I pick any up.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

pakledjim

• Jedi Council
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »

I saw the latest figures a K-Mart. Lady Jaye, Flint, Firely and several others. The Dark Ninja will probably be the most popular due to it fitting in well with MU.

DavAnthony

• Full Access
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »

Check out THIS ARTICLE about the GI Joe Retaliation toy line.

Yikes sounds like Hasbro is in for some trouble.

I can't see this quote making the retailers to happy either;

"Hasbro isn't worried about the loss of revenue from "G.I. Joe" toy sales. "

Hasbro may not be worried but I'm sure stores are not pleased and also how about actually caring about your customer base Hasbro.  Remarkable group of people running that company.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:05:50 PM by DavAnthony »

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

Check out THIS ARTICLE about the GI Joe Retaliation toy line.

DavAnthony

• Full Access
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

That has nothing to do with Hasbro.  It's all on Paramount.  Word is the prescreening feedbacks are so bad that they will go back and reshoot some more scenes and convert to 3D.  I think it's a horrible decision since look what happened to Clash of Titans.

Hasbro and retailers get screw since the toys are on the shelves right now.  My bet is this one will do less than the first one.

I was talking about how poorly Hasbro handles the Joe line.  Also Hasbro should have been more insistent that the script and other elements that were needed to make the film good were solid.  Reports also state that Hasbro AND Paramount agreed to this delay.  Hasbro seems to consistently fly by the seat of their pants with the GI Joe brand and now that mindset led them to having a major film delayed nearly a year. I'm still amazed they looked at Stephen Sommers and then the GiJoe Rise of Cobra script and said "yeah this is going to be good".
Some points of Hasbro's horrific track record in the last few years.
GiJoe Sigma Six cartoon was horrible and lasted a season. The Toy line was basically abandoned after tons of hype.
GiJoe Resolute was received extremely well and then they drop it and go in a completely different direction with Renegades.
GiJoe Renegades has mixed responses but they don't get the figures on the shelves for about a year after the premiere episode and not until the show has been cancelled.  So for nearly a year there was no tie in the toy aisle. 
Let's not even talk about the disasters of the Valor/Venom and Joe Vs Cobra lines. 
The problems with GiJoe fall squarely on Hasbro's shoulders.  They really need to get their act together.  To have one of your own brands tanking is just ridiculous.

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

I only see them at Target right now.  As for warming up the pegs, I didn't care too much for the animated line so I passed on that one.

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »

That has nothing to do with Hasbro.  It's all on Paramount.  Word is the prescreening feedbacks are so bad that they will go back and reshoot some more scenes and convert to 3D.  I think it's a horrible decision since look what happened to Clash of Titans.

Hasbro and retailers get screw since the toys are on the shelves right now.  My bet is this one will do less than the first one.

DavAnthony

• Full Access
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

yeah it's a pretty dumb move and really from a pr standpoint makes Paramount and Hasbro's job harder.  I'm amazed at how inept Hasbro is with this line.  It's their own brand for crying out loud and they can't get it right.  Just pathetic

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »

I've seen both Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in stores.  You had to figure that Hasbro would try to make a significant push on the toy line for the new Joe movie, but the summer movie landscape really seems to have been upended by The AvengersBattleship was a bust.  And there are still some big movies on the way.

Granted, I'm not up on all things GI Joe on the toy side of things.  But I do notice things in the aisle.  And at a big store it seemed like the pegspace the Joe line had was almost an afterthought.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.