NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy / Frankenstorm  (Read 5575 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Hurricane Sandy / Frankenstorm
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »

I've been amazed to see just how many people purchased generators for this storm.  It seems that we're so much more dependent on electricity than ever before. 

I specifically remember a hurricane in the early 80's that knocked out our power for about a week.  And it didn't seem like such a big deal at the time.  We had a giant cooler for essential food.  All of the gas appliances worked alright, and the furnace wasn't necessary since it happened in late August or early September.  But now so many people's heat systems use electrical control systems even if they're fueled by natural gas or oil.

I've been hearing that some people are putting in major generator systems after the storm.  Some of them are full-time installations that run on the natural gas that you use for heat & cooking.  And those make me wonder if it would be cheaper to run that full time and unplug from the electrical grid!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Thanks Greg!   YES! definitely a good idea to invest in a generator! i'm sure glad i finally got one it saved us! 
All Scalpers Must Die!! I poop on scalper scum !!

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

Wow, glad to hear you have power.  Good thing you had a generator!  I think I might have to get one as I expect we'll get more storms like this in the future...
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »

Ooops sorry didn't get a chance to get back on here.  So i finally got my internet/cable back on sat morn, and my power back sunday night, on day #14.  and yes i do have a generator and its hooked up to all my essential stuff (Furnace, well pump, sump pumps, hot water heater and fridge) so i was good to go.   

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »

STILL?!?!

Please tell me that you've got the generator keeping your heat going.  That seems to be one of the bigger issues I've been hearing about.  Lots of people may have gas or oil heat, but the control systems and blowers are almost always electrical now.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »

Day #10 w/o power here in Hopatcong.  at least everyone is safe and i still have a roof over my head, and thank god for my generator she's working lots o' overtime!

OMG, really?!?!

I hope you get power back soon, Mike.  That's crazy.

I think the video from Breezy Point, Staten Island and the Jersey Shore has made everyone put things in perspective about Hurricane Sandy.  Some people lost EVERYTHING.  And it's definitely prompted some serious discussions about who takes priority when it comes to the relief efforts.  Will the people who lost their primary residences be given preferential treatment over people who lost vacation homes?

Thanks Nick, i know this is nutz!  goin on day # 13 now no power :/    but thats ok i have the gen so its all good, i got my cable/internet back yesterday so now i won't go crazy in the dark i can at least watch tv lol.  i heard that FEMA will only cover if the shore home was their primary residence, and not if its a vacation home.

Here's a video of the damage to our area that someone took (Hopatcong NJ)

Video HERE
Some Pictures HERE
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:51:09 PM by Aurrasing666 »

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:31:58 AM »

Glad to hear everyone is safe. For those affected I wish you the best and hope some sort of normalcy returns soon. Hang in there.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 12:09:56 AM »

Day #10 w/o power here in Hopatcong.  at least everyone is safe and i still have a roof over my head, and thank god for my generator she's working lots o' overtime!

OMG, really?!?!

I hope you get power back soon, Mike.  That's crazy.

I think the video from Breezy Point, Staten Island and the Jersey Shore has made everyone put things in perspective about Hurricane Sandy.  Some people lost EVERYTHING.  And it's definitely prompted some serious discussions about who takes priority when it comes to the relief efforts.  Will the people who lost their primary residences be given preferential treatment over people who lost vacation homes?

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »

Glad to see you guys are safe.  We only lost power for 24 hours.  Our neighborhood has a lot of old trees.  Wish you all well up there.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »

pakledjim

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

I'm okay, power went out for 4 days, but not a big deal. I wasn't able to get to work Wed and Thurs because of lack of gas. Everything around me was without power. Wednesday afternoon I found a Hess station that had a generator, so I stood in line for hour and half for a small amount of gas. Went back the next day with a larger can so I could have enough gas to get me to both jobs on Friday. The gas problem doesn't seem as bad now, I now see stations with no lines.
 I also had a tree fall, the top of it broke off and nearly hit my roof dead on. Thankfully it fell a little to the right and instead damaged the roof only slightly and took down a gutter. My sister is still without power, so I'm trying to help her any way I can.

Captain Piet

• Jedi Master
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »

Checking in. Glad to hear most OK. Into fifth day without power in Brick but OK. In-laws home in Baywood section of Brick flooded and being gutted.
Co-founder and contributor, Ph.Geek.com

Ph.Geek
"Dissertations in geek culture"
New podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or at http://phgeek.podbean.com/. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @geekswillrise

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »

We lost power on Monday at about 2 p.m.  For some reason my cell phone couldn't connect to any data or phone calls (I heard the cell towers near me lost power).  We regained power late this afternoon, so I feel like I've reconnected to civilization. 

Our neighborhood (Tinton Falls) wasn't hit that badly - a few down trees, but nothing major.  My wife's parent's neighborhood in Eatontown was hit pretty hard.  They had lots of downed trees and broken power lines. 

Nick - I saw that by me too!  The few gas stations that were open had huge lines. 

I hope everybody was safe! 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »

Lots of trees down in my town. Miraculously we didn't lose power, but cable & broadband went out Monday night. But I picked up an antenna and we're able to get some over the air tv for news.

Big note for this morning?  Lines at the gas stations. I saw lines at the gas stations on RT 17 that were a 1/4 mile long. It looks like people need fuel for their generators. 

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »

Never lost power and no significant damage. Couple of downed trees on my parents farm but all in all no worse than a bad thunderstorm. I feel bad for all those more affected and hope other members made our alright.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.