New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REBELS - New Star Wars Animated Series  (Read 4151 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: REBELS - New Star Wars Animated Series
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:44:36 PM »

From the Official Site:

Star Wars Rebels // Oct 2, 2014

Disney XD Orders Second Season of Star Wars Rebels Ahead of Television Premiere

One day ahead of a highly-anticipated television premiere, Disney Channels Worldwide President and Chief Creative Officer Gary Marsh announced plans to produce a second season of the animated series Star Wars Rebels from Lucasfilm.

Marsh said, “The global expectations for this series could not have been any higher. And I am proud to say that the team at Lucasfilm has delivered something that has surpassed even that incredibly high bar – artistically and thematically.”

Star Wars Rebels has received acclaim from critics and fans alike since its advance debut screening at San Diego Comic-Con in July, followed by special previews this week on WATCH Disney XD and other digital platforms. Star Wars Rebels will be introduced via a television movie, Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, premiering Friday, October 3 (9:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney Channel in the U.S. and Monday, October 6 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD in the U.S.  It ushers in the series beginning Monday, October 13 (9:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD in the U.S.  The series will air in 34 languages across 163 countries in over 400 million households.

“We all love making ‘Rebels,’ so we couldn’t be happier that it’s moving into a second season,” says Lucasfilm VP of Creative Development, Kiri Hart.  “Our fantastic creative team is dreaming up new stories for the crew of the Ghost that will expand their experience of the galaxy and deepen their heroes’ journeys. The fan response to the show has been amazing, humbling and inspiring. We’re looking forward to the adventure ahead.”

The creative team behind the second season of Star Wars Rebels includes Executive Producers Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni, and Co-Executive Producer and Supervising Writer Henry Gilroy.

Star Wars Rebels continues the epic story-telling tradition that has captivated generations of Star Wars fans since 1977.  Its story is set in the era between the film’s prequel trilogy and original trilogy and is in a unique position to bridge the two both aesthetically and generationally.  Honoring the past while moving boldly into the future, it features fantastic icons from Star Wars while introducing a new generation to the far corners of the galaxy, one full of exotic new creatures and characters. “

…scads of action, beautiful animation and fidelity to the original’s spirit.” – Variety

“…a rich color palette…reminiscent of the work of Hayao Miyazaki, the Japanese animé master.” – The New York Times

“Rebels’ does a great job of capturing a true ‘adventure’ feel.” – IGN

“I’ve seen the premiere of the show and can attest completely to the vibe hearkening back to the original film. It somehow takes the coolest elements you’d expect from the dark time, with Jedi on the run and a truly evil Imperial presence, and matches it with the comedic tone of adventure of the original Star Wars film.” – Huffington Post

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »

News from The Official Site about the early viewing of the STAR WARS - REBELS movie.  It's moving up by THREE days to Friday, September 26th.  Here's the text from TOS:

Star Wars Rebels // Sep 24, 2014

Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion to Debut Early on WATCH Disney XD

As the force grows stronger and Star Wars fans become more eager for the debut of the animated television movie Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, Disney XD has moved up the debut by three days, to Friday, September 26 for verified users of WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app for smartphones, tablets and connected TVs.

The new date will give verified WATCH Disney XD viewers a seven-day exclusive window to watch Star Wars Rebels before the global television debut Friday, October 3 (9:00  p.m.,  ET/PT  in  the  U.S.) on Disney Channels around the world, ushering in the series beginning  Monday, October 13 (9:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

A premiere date has been announced by The Official Site.

Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion Premieres Friday, October 3 on Disney Channel

Continuing the epic tradition of the legendary Star Wars saga, an exciting animated one-hour movie Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion is set to premiere Friday, October 3 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT in the US) on Disney Channels around the world, ushering in the highly anticipated series Star Wars Rebels on Disney XD.  In the US, Star Wars Rebels episodes will debut Monday nights beginning Monday, October 13 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on Disney XD.  Worldwide, the series will air in 33 languages across 163 countries in over 400 million households.

Leading up to its global television debut, Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion will be available on Disney Channel SVOD and to verified users beginning Monday, September 29, on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app.

Set between the events of Star Wars: Episodes III and IV, the story unfolds during a dark time when the evil Galactic Empire is tightening its grip of power on the galaxy. Imperial forces have occupied a remote planet and are ruining the lives of its people. The motley but clever crew of the starship Ghost — cowboy Jedi Kanan, ace pilot Hera, street-smart teenager Ezra, the “muscle” Zeb, warrior firebrand Sabine, and cantankerous old astromech droid Chopper — is among a select few who are brave enough to stand against the Empire. Together, they will face threatening new villains, encounter colorful adversaries, embark on thrilling adventures, and become heroes with the power to ignite a rebellion.

At the Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion Fan Event at San Diego Comic-Con this year, the movie garnered rave reviews from fans who found the story and look akin to the classic trilogy of films.  The series’ designs are influenced by the work of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie.

Star Wars Rebels is created by Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Sherlock Holmes), and Carrie Beck. The Lucasfilm Animation production is also executive-produced by Filoni and Kinberg as well as Greg Weisman (Gargoyles).

The talented voice cast includes Freddie Prinze Jr. as Kanan, Vanessa Marshall as Hera, Steve Blum as Zeb, Tiya Sircar as Sabine, Taylor Gray as Ezra, David Oyelowo as Agent Kallus, and Jason Isaacs as the Inquisitor.

The multi-platform schedule in the US is:

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
•Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion one-hour movie will be available on Disney Channel SVOD and to verified users on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app for smartphones and tablets.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 3
•Television premiere of one-hour movie Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on Disney Channel.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4
•Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion will be available for purchase through Apple iTunes, Amazon Prime, Google Play, and Disney XD VOD.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 6
•Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) premieres on Disney XD.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 13
•Star Wars Rebels (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) series premieres on Disney XD.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14
•Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion will be available on DVD in retailers nationwide.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »

Check out a live session about REBELS courtesy of IGN LIVE FROM SDCC at 6:30 PM ET

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

Rumors are circulating regarding the date on which REBELS will premiere on Disney XD.  At this time indications are that the series will kick off on Tuesday, September 30th.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »

Check out this Entertainment Weekly article as EW sits down with REBELS executive producer Simon Kinberg:

'Star Wars Rebels' interview: New series goes to dark places, embraces 1977 film's spirit

By James Hibberd on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:12PM

The next Star Wars TV series is embracing an era from a long, long time ago: 1977. Disney XD’s Star Wars Rebels is the franchise’s first major storytelling return to the original trilogy since Return of the Jedi, with producers even utilizing original trilogy artist Ralph McQuarrie’s decades-old and previously unused concept art for aliens, planet and vehicles. Below executive producer Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) tells EW his plan for the new show — as much as he can at this early stage, anyway — which premieres this fall.

So how did you land on the premise for the show?
 They wanted to do an animated show and I loved [Cartoon Network's] Clone Wars and grew up with a lot of animated shows. So we just started to talk about where it would fall in the general Star Wars timeline. Really there was no predetermination going in. It could have been a prequel, sequel, a stand-alone universe. The main thing for us is how do we tell a story that enhances this universe, that answers questions that audiences may or may not have had but at least will make it feel like the world is fuller after watching the show. We pretty quickly got to this idea that though Rebel Alliance that was such an integral part of the movies, we know next to nothing about the formation of at least in terms of the movies and The Clone Wars. There was nothing in the canon that had delved deep into it. That’s where it started — let’s tell the story of the formation of the heroes in the original movies. And that put us in a time line between episode III and IV. You don’t want to be too close to New Hope so that it feels like it’s repetitive, you want to feel like you’re watching the earliest seeds of what will sprout into a full-blown rebellion.

How will this look or feel different from Clone Wars?
 It will look quite different. The intention of what I’ve seen so afar, and we’re pretty far down the line, the intention is for it to feel quite different from Clone Wars. The place we went back to as to a visual template was Ralph McQuarrie, who was one of the original concept artists for the original Star Wars films. His art is softer, a little more figurative, more of a feel of being drawn, less computer generated. The first few movies had a bit of a hand-made quality. We wanted the show to have that. There’s also in the archives where [creator George] Lucas keeps all the original art and props, there’s tons of art that’s McQuarrie’s musing on the Star Wars universe that was never used in the films. There’s places where we’ve quite literally taken world-creation or vehicles or creatures from his original art that was never used in the films and made that part of show.

That’s fantastic. What about story-telling differences? How dark can you go on Disney XD?
 We haven’t talked in those terms. But the world we’re creating is an Imperial world. You’re seeing the impact of the Empire, of stormtroopers around the galaxy, abusing and oppressing people. Thematically and politically, it goes to some dark places. But for the tone of the show we took our cues from the original movies, which had fun and adventure and swashbuckling with emotion and grounded human characters. We took all our cues from the original films. Obviously there are slight tonal differences between New Hope, Empire and Jedi. But I think the closest intended voice of the show is A New Hope. So there are places where we get into darker backstories, there are places we see how cruel and malevolent the Empire can be, but for the most part it’s a fun and character-driven story. Again taking our cues from the original films, it’s less maybe political than the prequels and more personal. It starts with a few character introductions that will precede the show. I wrote the first two episodes, they’re like a one-hour story across two episodes where we introduce the main characters in the show.

You’ve created a new villain, the Inquisitor, what makes him special?
 That was probably the most daunting part of this process. George obviously created the best villain of our time. So we spent a lot of time brainstorming and working with the artists to come up with the Inquisitor. You’ve seen that image of him. We wanted somebody terrifying, a nightmare character for a kid but not somebody too foreign, too creature-ly. We didn’t want him to have a helmet for obvious reasons — the comparison [to Darth Vader]. We talked about a character who was cold and calculating and could tap into people’s emotional weaknesses as much as their physical weaknesses, and had a specific relationship to Jedi and the ways of the force. He would be somebody that the remaining Jedi would be especially scared of.

Will you include characters from the expanded universes, like Admiral Thrawn, or just the films and your own creations?
 We have characters from all the different parts of the universe. One of the awesome resources is Pablo Hidalgo he’s the resident Star Wars genius and he knows everything of every possible word or image that was created for Star Wars. So we utilize him a lot and he’s very integrated into the process. He will say there’s a cool cantina in this comic book from 1994, or a cool creature that not all of us know. He will bring that stuff to us. Or we’ll task him we’re trying to create a muscle for this villain with a cool backstory. Sometimes it will be a character or a planet we don’t know about. Instead of being just an Easter egg, sometimes it will turn into an a whole episode.

Is Darth Vader and the Emperor in the show? And if so is any possibility of the original voice talent being used?
 I don’t think I’m allowed to answer that. I can say that wherever possible we would want to use the original talent.

We wouldn’t want that. So what else about the new show Rebels that you think fans would be particularly interested to know that you would feel comfortable discussing at this juncture.
 The reason I wanted to do this. I really felt like there was an opportunity to tell an untold story. I’m a fan of  The Clone Wars and aspects of the prequels, but really the original movies were the reason I wanted to get into movies. I always loved origin stories and the origin of an entire organization, I don’t think we’ve seen that before, and we’ve approached it in a real-world way. If I told the story of the American Revolution, I wouldn’t want to start with the most famous battle I’d want to start when it was just four guys in a room, the earliest spark of that seems dramatic and cool. That’s a big part of the fun of it, the little back-room dealings, the first time you see it’s possible to stand up to the Empire.

Can you say plot-wise what’s the inciting incident that kicks off your story in your first episode?
 Um, I’m going to be a little vague about it. It’s less because I want to be secretive but more because part of the fun for me, and I know this will sound very nostalgic, part of the fun of the original movies is not knowing too much about it. I will say when we pick up the show when the Empire is in power and the inciting incident is the Empire doing their bad-Empire thing and our heroes meeting up.

Are those heroes familiar?
 There’s a lot of new characters in the show. The prequels were centered around the origin of familiar characters, there’s a lot of new characters in this show. The main characters are new characters.

Can you describe a couple of the new ones?
 Not yet!

Drat!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

If you can't make it to NYCC this weekend, you can still check out some of the news about STAR WARS - REBELS thanks to the Official Site.  And there is a video, too!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

The teaser for REBELS is out!.  And what better way to tease the new show?!?!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

Images aren't showing up.  Check out the OFFICIAL SITE ARTICLE for a look at REBELS concept art and the show logo.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
Re: New Star Wars Animated Series in the Works
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

More teens....

Like the casting breakdown for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, "Rebels'" primary characters will all be teenagers. The reason behind this is to give the show a skew toward younger audience members. In addition, the site says that Mark Hamill will provide a guest voice for the show in some capacity.

Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

Check out the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdfFos3PYQ&feature=player_embedded.

StarWars.com reporter Pablo Hidalgo sits down with Director Dave Filoni to discuss the new series.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »

LFL Announces New Animated Series: Star Wars Rebels

Posted by Eric on May 20, 2013 at 09:06 AM CST | 5 Comments

Following a teaser video last week that was replete with easter eggs, Lucasfilm has announced their next animated venture. In Fall 2014, Disney Channel will broadcast the one-hour premiere of a new Star Wars animated TV series set between Episodes III and IV called Star Wars Rebels. After the premiere, the series will shift over to Disney XD for its regular airings.

Simon Kinberg, Dave Filoni, and Greg Weisman will executive produce, with Kinberg writing the premiere episode. TCW veterans Kilian Plunkett, the art director, and Joel Aron, the CG supervisor, will move over to Rebels with Filoni.

A first look at Star Wars Rebels will be shown at Star Wars Celebration Europe II in July. The series has an official Facebook page, for those who want to like it and receive updates there. There's no Twitter account yet, but the official Twitter hashtag is #StarWarsRebels.

Check out a video introduction to the series from Dave Filoni, and scroll down for the full press release.

REBELS
NEW STAR WARS ANIMATED TELEVISION SERIES
BEGINS PRODUCTION FOR 2014 PREMIERE
ON DISNEY XD CHANNELS AROUND THE WORLD

--Special Event Telecast to First Air on Disney Channel --

Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the ®Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. “I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV – an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe (http://www.starwarscelebration.eu/) will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on www.StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
REBELS - New Star Wars Animated Series
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »

Dave Filoni's new series will feature TIE Fighters.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:47:01 AM by Nicklab »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 22 queries.

anything