New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)  (Read 6456 times)

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
Re: Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »

I think Lex wanted to become more powerful by obtaining powers from the krypton ship and technology and to do that he needed to get rid of superman.  I think he felt he could control doomsday and I don't think he expected something greater to come of it (darkseid).

I also think critics didn't like this because it was darker than the marvel movies. There was hardly, if any humor added in. I don't mind that at all but I guess most felt it was missing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:28:48 PM by Mandalorian »
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

pakledjim

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 06:04:27 PM »

Can anyone explain to me Lex Luthor's motivations?

He spent the whole movie trying to get rid of one all-powerful being, only to hope another one would come to Earth??
Honestly I couldn't even follow the plot.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:06 AM »

He spent the whole movie trying to get rid of one all-powerful being, only to hope another one would come to Earth??

That's probably the best question of all to come out of this film.  WHY? 

Luthor does seem obsessed with at least marginalizing Superman.  And he also seems obsessed with power.  That whole creepy scene of him feeding that politician showed me that he was seriously bent.  There was also the scene where he managed to get somewhat plugged into the Kryptonian tech when he was using the genesis chamber on the scout ship.  And when he told the computer to override the Kryptonian protocols he seemed savvy enough to manipulate the computer into doing what he wanted. 

Still, it leaves me wondering if he had any comprehension of what he was going to potentially unleash, or if he was being manipulated.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

pakledjim

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

Just saw it today, went in with little expectations and wasn't disappointed.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 05:51:42 PM »

This wasn't as bad as I expected going in.  Cyborg needs a better explanation.  Wonder Woman was good, but she shouldn't be the best part of a Batman v Superman movie.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »

I'm on the fence about going to see the movie.  And if I do, it's going to be a weekday matinee.  The negative reviews have been cause for some concern.  But then there are genre film fans that say it's great.  It leaves me thinking that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

As for the critics?  They love to bash a genre film.  And with so many more comic book movies getting made, there seems to be an increased desire to bash these projects.  Especially when a movie like this one involves the Big Three of the DC Comics universe:  Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.  I think adding in Ben Affleck as one of the stars has drawn some attention since he's gotten some negative press for his own personal life in the past several months.

I liked Man of Steel.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that I loved it.  But I definitely thought that if DC wanted to bring Superman into the modern era of comic book movies, then they would have to cut ties with the Donner films and chart a new course forward.  A lot of people had a great deal of affection for the first two Donner Superman films, and Bryan Singer tried to honor those movies with Superman Returns as a quasi-sequel to those movies.  But it didn't work.  I think Man of Steel did a good job in an attempt to modernize the DC universe.

I think part of the reason Warner Brothers is drawing some criticism is because their attempts to launch a broader DC Cinematic Universe seem a bit like keeping up with the Joneses.  Except in this case, the Joneses happen to be Marvel Studios and Disney with their Marvel Cinematic Universe.  WB and DC seem like they're trying to launch the DCCU in the space of a couple of years and only two or three films. 

Marvel and Disney took a good degree of time with the process and built the MCU slowly and deliberately.  Marvel Studios also had the benefit of some perspective in being able to look back at how other studios had handled some Marvel characters.  Just look at this list of studios and the characters they bought the film rights for:

NEW LINE:  Blade
FOX:  X-Men (and all X related projects), Fantastic Four, Daredevil
ARTISAN:  The Punisher
UNIVERSAL:  The Hulk
SONY/COLUMBIA:  Spiderman, Ghost Rider

I think that Marvel Studios/Disney made some very smart choices when they launched the MCU with Iron Man.  They had a chance to see some of the mistakes that Fox, Sony and Universal made in trying to present these characters without spending their own money on those projects.

I suspect that Warner Brothers has been watching, too.  They had the benefit of having worked on the Nolan Batman trilogy.  And they also had a real bomb in that Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern project.  Still, this new movie seems like WB/DC wants to leap into a Justice League movie almost immediately.  And considering that Marvel Studios/Disney took 5 movies produced over the course of 4 years before they had a team up movie like the first Avengers film?  It can certainly leave you skeptical.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 09:35:17 AM »

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was decent. It didn't feel like a 2.5 hour movie, it definitely left me wanting more. 
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

Saw this today, thought it was pretty dam good overall.  Afleck did well as batman and there are a lot of things that set up justice league throughout the movie.  Wont spoil anything just yet but definitely worth seeing.

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »

Looks good. Except for eisenberg as Luthor. Not sure about that casting yet.  Looks even worse with that hair too.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:32 AM »

Curious who's side Wonder Woman is on in that fight.  I'm pretty sure they are deliberately keeping that aspect under wraps.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »

Here's the link:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer (HD)

The premise of Batman taking on Superman is a tough sell, simply because Superman is so powerful.  But I definitely liked how the beginning of the trailer established why Batman would find Superman to be a threat to the world.  And who is positioned to take on someone whose powers are so god-like?  Using a Senate hearing to convey this sense of fear of Superman in light of the destruction that happened at the end of Man of Steel seems like an organic way to go.

The Lex Luthor character seems to have been updated in an interesting way.  And sure enough he's come up with some Kryptonite, too.  As for General Zod's corpse in the bodybag?  I'm curious to see where that all goes. 

Wonder Woman looks pretty striking.  Gal Gadot is certainly easy on the eyes, and it'll be interesting to see how her character gets developed into this conflict.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 06:05:49 AM »

New extended trailer is out.

Shows why Bruce isn't a big Superman fan.  Wonder Woman gets some action too.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »

Looks great!  "Tell me do you bleed?  You will.  "

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »

Who saw a cult devoted to Superman coming?  I sure didn't.  And I also didn't see Batman trying to turn himself into Iron Man coming, either.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.

anything