NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS REBELS - Season 1  (Read 5446 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: STAR WARS REBELS - Season 1
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »

Now that I've had some time to digest things...

I was finally able to watch the episode yesterday.  As stories go, that final 3 episode arc was strong.  Even though the Inquisitor and Agent Kallus are not to be trifled with, the introduction of Tarkin to the series brought something far more sinister to the Empire.  The Imperial Forces seemed to be that much more of a threat with Tarkin's presence.  And even the Inquisitor was that much more brutal as well.

It seems like this crisis served to do more for Kanan in terms of deepening his connection with the Force.  And he's becoming a far better teacher to Ezra in the process.  And his lightsaber duel with the Inquisitor?  The setting absolutely brought you back to the Theed duel from EPISODE I.  But there the similarities ended.  Ezra is more youngling than a proper Padawan, and I think he was very much out of his depth and couldn't match up with the Inquisitor.  But Kanan did some things in that duel that were very much remarkable.  When Ezra fell I almost thought that Kanan was going to tap into the Dark Side.  But seeing him use that to center himself in the Force also seemed to help him get past the demons he had associated with the loss of his master, Depa Billaba.  And his use of Ezra's lightsaber / blaster in the duel was actually really clever.

I think the Inquisitor HAD to die.  And I think he's going to stay dead.  He seemed resigned to his death with his final words.  And I suspect that was directly related to his own fear of both Darth Vader and the Emporer.  Plus, I don't know how long a series like REBELS could hang onto an actor like Jason Isaacs.  Hell, I'm still surprised that they've got David Oyelowo for the part of Agent Kallus.  As for the return of Vader?  His appearance was a nice bookend to the series.  The series launch had that special scene with Vader communicating with the Inquisitor, and to cap things off with the arrival of Vader brings things to a place that we're all familiar with.

The revelation of Ahsoka as Fulcrum was kind of expected.  The leaks have been hinting at that for a few weeks now.  From a story standpoint I think it makes sense.  When we last saw Ahsoka in CLONE WARS we saw her as disaffected with both the Jedi and the Republic.  So I can understand her taking part in the Rebellion.  It makes sense for her as a character.  Part of me is wondering if the show might explore any sort of long standing connection between Ahsoka and Hera or her family.  It certainly makes me want to re-watch the CLONE WARS Ryloth story arc to see if there was any interaction between Ahsoka and Hera's father, Cham Syndulla.  I was also glad to see Bail Organa in the mix again along with those Blockade Runners.  One curious point?  The troopers who were awaiting the crew of the Ghost after they docked with the captured Imperial ship.  They were actually reminiscent of some Rebel troopers that were in THE FORCE UNLEASHED as part of Rahm Kota's militia.

Going forward?  I think we're going to see the crew of the Ghost much more involved in coordinated Rebel Alliance operations.  They're probably still going to be involved in some similar ops on Lothal that we saw in Season 1, but those will likely tie-in with broader Alliance missions and other Rebel cells.  I hope we get to see some more of Ahsoka and Bail Organa as the second season develops.  Will we see Leia?  That seems questionable since Leia was relatively young in ANH.

As for the Empire?  Bringing Vader into the mix will step things up with the Empire on Lothal.  I don't know how much Vader will be directly involved.  You would think that as soon as Vader becomes aware of any surviving Jedi that he would personally hunt them down.  Could Vader's arrival on Lothal be the catalyst for the crew of the Ghost to become more mobile in their operations?  I think that's a real possibility.  Especially if Kanan has heard about Vader in the years following Order 66. 

One thing that's been a point of contention for me is about how Imperial Inquisitors are Force users.  Dave Filoni has talked about this a little bit.  And he's specifically said that they are not Sith.  I know that the Inquisitors had a role in what is now "Legends" EU, but the only place I recall them popping up was in the Dark Empire storyline.  So, can we expect a new Inquisitor to come into the mix following the death of the Pau'an Inquisitor?  I'm interested to see what another different  Inquisitor might bring to the table for the second season.

Other series notes?  I like that we've seen something of a blend between PT era tech and OT tech in the REBELS series.  The AT-DP seems like a clear blend between the PT AT-RT and the OT's AT-ST.  And there was also the Gunships that we saw in the episode where Kanan was captured.  Those were the same class of Gunships that Anakin used on Coruscant as he and the Shock Troopers were trying to track down Ahsoka towards the end of the CLONE WARS series.  Things like that do help to establish some continuity that grounds things.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 08:34:52 PM »

A great way to end this season.  The small little band of Rebels have emerged into what seems to be a slowly forming Rebel Alliance.  I'll refrain from spoiler discussion for now.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »

Don't watch the latest Rebels Recon unless you want to spoiler the final episode.

I take it they are not going to do a Recon after the finale and this one pretty much covers it all.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »

The season 1 finale is coming on Monday, March 2nd.  And per Rebels Recon from the official Star Wars YouTube channel this episode will *NOT* be available early via the DisneyXD app.  It looks like they're hoping for some good ratings numbers for the end of the first season of REBELS.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:02 AM »

I'll refrain from talking about this week's very obvious voice acting guest star.  But the really cool/obscure voice actor this week?  None other than James Hong as Azmorigan!

Falcon

• Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »

The newest episode of STAR WARS REBELS is now available for viewing via the Disney XD app as well as on Disney XD On Demand.  This one is called "Idiots Array", which is the name of a particular hand in the Star Wars card game Sabacc.  And this episode features at least a couple of guest voice actors that you're bound to enjoy.  Check it out!

Fun episode.  Nice use of a unused Jabba concept with Azmorigan.
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 04:49:20 PM »

The newest episode of STAR WARS REBELS is now available for viewing via the Disney XD app as well as on Disney XD On Demand.  This one is called "Idiots Array", which is the name of a particular hand in the Star Wars card game Sabacc.  And this episode features at least a couple of guest voice actors that you're bound to enjoy.  Check it out!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »

REBELS is back from mid-season hiatus, and the first episode of the second half of this season is now available for viewing via the Disney XD app.  I checked it out and it was a nice start.  I'll keep it spoiler free if you haven't had a chance to see the episode yet.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »

Indications are that Yoda may come into play on REBELS.  And the diminutive Jedi Master may even be voiced by none other than Frank Oz!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »

The REBELS marathon is airing again today from noon to 4:30 PM ET.  Check out THIS IGN POSTING FOR MORE.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »

There is a STSR WARS REBELS marathon running today and tomorrow on the Disney Channel as well as Disney XD. And there will also be a feature at the end of the marathon called "Inside The Force Awakens ". You may want to check it out!

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »

Kids today need more discipline.

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Falcon

• Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »

I've watched all 4 episodes now and love the show, but is it just me, or is there really too much of Zeb beating up Ezra.  I mean its basically a full grown alien with superhuman strength physically abusing a 14 year old kid...

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »

"Fighter Flight" is now available for viewing via the Disney XD app.  And in this week's episode we get a good look at the modern take on the Imperial Troop Transport.

Falcon

• Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:00:49 AM »

The Droids in Distress episode is also available for free download on iTunes.  There's also an appearance from a droid from the saga's past, with original voice actor.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 23 queries.

anything