New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandai / Tamashii  (Read 2230 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Bandai / Tamashii
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:01 AM »

Check out some of the Tamashii Nations exhibit from Star Wars Celebration Europe in this Star Wars Action News tweet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
Re: Bandai / Tamashii - Toy Fair 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »

I was able to assemble my Bandai C-3PO model kit this weekend during the snowstorm.  It looks fantastic (haven't taken any pics yet) - the shiny gold finish is perfect for a "new" 3PO look.  I'd be reluctant to weather him because the finish is so nice.

The articulation is very limited, as would be expected for C-3PO.  The figure comes with 2 sets of arms that attach at the upper arm section with a swivel joint.  One arm is static and completely gold, while the other arm can bend at the elbows and has yellow plastic for the arm pistons that move with the arm.  Pretty neat feature and nice to have both options.  There is also an alternate head with a dent in the forehead, a wire attached to an eye piece (to recreate when Salacious Crumb chewed out his eye), and an alternate chest piece with a restraining bolt (the restraining bolt would need to be painted since it is the same gold as the rest of the figure). 

The eyes appear to be deeply set, so it's hard to see them.  Some of the pieces are pretty fragile/prone to popping off, but I was reluctant to glue them in place because I don't want to ruin the gold finish.

Overall, it's a fantastic display piece and Hasbro would be hard-pressed to beat it, other than as to durability. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »

That looks really good, Greg.  So does the model have a weight to it that's comparable to the Hasbro Black Series 6" figures?  Because I've really been tempted to get the Bandai C-3PO.

Thanks, Nick!

The model is lighter than a hasbro figure, but it definitely feels sturdy.  It is very poseable, but obviously can come apart with rough handling (luckily, it can just be snapped back together when that happens).  The cool thing about these model kits is that the joint system uses a more flexible plastic; if a joint comes out, it doesn't snap like if it were regular hard plastic.

C-3PO is next on my build list; I don't see how Hasbro can top it.  I actually received that kit before Fett, but I couldn't resist building Fett first.  I also have 2 Stormtroopers that I'll build after C-3PO. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »

That looks really good, Greg.  So does the model have a weight to it that's comparable to the Hasbro Black Series 6" figures?  Because I've really been tempted to get the Bandai C-3PO.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

Took some pics of my Bandai 1/12th model kit Boba Fett:

Here is a height comparison with a couple of Hasbro's Black Series 6" Stormtroopers:

These model kits are amazing.  The articulation and range of motion is significantly greater than Hasbro's Black Series figures (ex. Bandai's Fett has double-jointed elbows, shoulder joints that allow for back-and-forth movement, excellent ankle articulation, etc.). 

A couple of minor drawbacks: the wookiee scalps are garbage (thin plastic that does not really stay in place) - I am going to make real ones out of embroidery floss and glue them in place.  Also, the hip pouches significantly limit range of motion for his legs.  I think I might cut out a small piece of cloth and put that in place of the plastic piece that connects the hip pouches to the belt. 

I painted the entire Fett model kit while it was on the sprue (black primer, then custom paint apps on each model piece).  Without paint, there is no weathering and the colors will be very plain.  The stickers are fantastic and easy to apply (I used the sticker decals instead of the water-slide decals since they are easier to use). 

To date, I have built the R2-D2/R5-D4 and Boba Fett model kits.  They are very complicated, but all of the pieces slide together very easily and you do not need glue (unless you break a piece - I had to glue Fett's wrist missile in place because I broke off the connecting piece). 

Overall, assembling this figure is a ton of work, but I am very happy with the end result and I can replace my Black Series Fett (which is in storage anyway). 

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »

I recently assembled the R2-D2 and R5-D4 1/12th scale model kids.  They look amazing and are perfectly in scale with Hasbro's Black Series 6" figures.  I have a Boba Fett on the way and I just ordered C-3PO and 2 Stormtroopers and can't wait to build them. 

Has anybody else built these kits yet?  I painted mine before assembling them, which I think helps in their overall look (especially as it relates to the eventual weathering).

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »

Check out Boba Fett as a Ronin in this slideshow from Celebration Anaheim

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Bandai / Tamashii
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

Bandai / Tamashii is going to be offering some pretty cool Samurai realizations of Star Wars characters.  Check out their Facebook page for images.  Right now they're planning on offering Samurai versions of Darth Vader and Stormtroopers, and these should be hitting the market some time in 2015.

No word on what the scale is on these figures. But with prices around $82 and up they're likely to be 6" scale or larger. And from the artwork behind the figures it looks like a Royal Guard is in the works, too.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:04:32 AM by Nicklab »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.