New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Go-To Toy Stores From Back in "The Day"  (Read 2828 times)

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
Re: Your Go-To Toy Stores From Back in "The Day"
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure I went to Ames and possibly K-Mart.  I do remember Kiddie City.  We also had a local woman's clothing shop in town and the owner lived across the street and had 2 young boys who were heavily into SW so he ordered figures for his store.  Kind of an off the wall thing but that store always had figures.

SimPlayer

• Full Access
  • Jedi Knight
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »

Hills Department Store was near me when I lived in western New York

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »

The Bradlees and especially Caldors down by me were really shady operations.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »

Wow, I remember Caldor and Bradlees.  I used to go to Jamesway, which is like Walmart now I guess.  In fact, the one I went to is now replaced by a Walmart in Ledgewood. 
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »

Going back that far it's amazing to see how things have changed.

CHILD WORLD - This was my number one spot.  Granted, in 1978 when the line really took off I was 5 going on 6.  These were the days before Toys R Us came to town, and Child World really had a hold on things in Nanuet, NY, where my family did the majority of their shopping.  And it was a pretty awesome store.  I can still remember seeing the endcap full of figures back in 1980 and the day when I got that TESB Yoda figure!  I recall Child World held on until around 1990 or so.  And the store that I went to in Nanuet eventually declined when Toys R Us opened just down the road.  The space that Child World occupied eventually became a Barnes & Noble and a Tower Records.  Well, it WAS a Tower Records.

SEARS - I picked up a good amount of the vintage line at Sears when they still had a good toy section.  But the best part about Sears?  The Sears catalog!  OMG, that thing was the stuff of dreams.  I used to thumb through the catalog religiously, looking at the new Star Wars toys and getting ideas about how I would create my own setups.  And there's actually a pretty good article that the Official Site ran about the catalog here:  http://www.starwars.com/news/sears-catalog-wish-book-and-star-wars-toys-real-value

TSW - TOY SPORTS WAREHOUSE - This was a bit of a later spot for me.  I think there may have been one near us, but I can't be sure.  I do remember one in Bergen County, and I think I may have gone there after I saw Return Of The Jedi at a theater that was very close to this store.  I think there also may have been one in Nanuet, NY, but it's tough to remember.  Still, it was cool to have another option like this one.  And I think this chain may have lasted longer out west, because I seem to recall seeing it a movie from the 90's called Airheads.

CALDOR/BRADLEES - These were big anchor department stores in strip malls.  They predated stores (at least in my area) like K-Mart or Target.  And they had pretty decent toy sections.  There was actually a Bradlees in my town, and by the time I was 10 or so I could actually ride my bike there pretty easily.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »

Clover - My family had a connection there, so they were able to get the hard to find and hot stuff as soon as it shipped.

Kiddie City - The isles were like a canyon of figures.

Discount Harrys - Don't remember getting much Star Wars stuff here, but definitely bikes and other toys.

What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »

I was born in '82 so I missed most of the hype for the OT when it was being released, but I was able to get in to the Ewoks stuff (it's what got me in to Star Wars along with an older cousin's small collection of figures that I would play with).  I picked up most of my vintage figures from the Golden Nugget Flea Market in Lambertville (and occasionally the nearby "Five and Dime") in the early '90's.  That was great fun and I was able to score a lot of figures for dirt cheap since that was the time just before Zahn's trilogy reignited the fanbase. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Falcon

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Take care, Sir!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

We're on the verge of the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS in theaters, and there's been a massive amount of merchandise released in stores.  It reminds me of checking stores in the late 70's and early 80's while hunting down the Kenner Star Wars line long before any uttered the word "VINTAGE" before Kenner.

So what were some of your go-to spots for the Kenner line back in "The Day"?  Feel free to sound off!

Sears/Sears Surplus - I remember going to the Sears Surplus store in Camden and walking by a pallet with stacks of boxes of the Creatures 3-pack, and of course I wanted it, but my mother being an educated consumer knew I already had those figures at home. 

Discount Harry's - As far as displays go, this store is the most vivid memory for me, I remember they had a very extensive Star Wars aisle right up until the very end of the line. 

Clover - My #1 spot, I remember one year, for my birthday, an aunt bought me an Etch-a-Sketch, which I already had, so being a little kid with no filter (and to my mother's chagrin) I immediately told her that.   So, being an awesome aunt that she is, we went right to the closest Clover, returned it, and she let me pick out what I wanted....so I walked out of the store that day with an X-wing fighter and X-wing Pilot Luke figure (which probably totaled 3 or 4 times what the Etch-a-Sketch was). 
If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

Metaphors Be With You - Jedi English Teacher

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Your Go-To Toy Stores From Back in "The Day"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »

We're on the verge of the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS in theaters, and there's been a massive amount of merchandise released in stores.  It reminds me of checking stores in the late 70's and early 80's while hunting down the Kenner Star Wars line long before any uttered the word "VINTAGE" before Kenner.

So what were some of your go-to spots for the Kenner line back in "The Day"?  Feel free to sound off!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.