NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome To The New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anakin Skywalker - The Role  (Read 1267 times)

Mandalorian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
Re: Anakin Skywalker - The Role
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »

I have been reading about this whole Anakin thing as well.   I don't think its cursed.   To be honest, I really liked Episode I and I think Jake Lloyd did a great job in it.   I had no issues with how he played the role.   The only character I had a problem with was Jar Jar in that movie. 

As for Hayden, I watched AOTC so many times and each time I felt stronger about how awful his acting was.  I have also seen him in other movies, I didn't think he was any better in them.   There was no connection with him at all in anything I have seen him in.  That being said, I also felt Natalie Portman was terrible in AOTC.   She also was not very believable in her role.  The two of them together had no chemistry and just made for poor acting.  They both got a little better in ROTS but not much.

Then choosing Christopher Lee for the role of Count Dooku, another bad choice.   Great actor but sorry to say, too old and past his prime.  Who wants to see an out of shape sith lord that looks like he is 90 doing flips?  Not me!

Anyway, I am getting off topic.  I don't think it is cursed, just some bad choices by Lucas.  I think DiCaprio may have brought something to the role of Anakin, showing more emotion and making it more believable.  I think anyone else in that role of Anakin in AOTC and ROTS would have made the movies better.   I even thought Tom Welling of Smallville would have been a great Anakin when they were casting for it. 

Anyway, just my opinion.  The casting for Force Awakens was excellent and look how much better it made the move.  I thought Ridley and Boyega did a great job, very believable characters that you could connect with.   
"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett, ESB

"This is no cave!" Han, ESB

In whiny sounding voice "But I was going to the Tashi station to get some power converters....."  Luke, ANH

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Anakin Skywalker - The Role
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »

There seems to be a lot of turmoil around the actors who portrayed Anakin Skywalker in the PT.  Jake Lloyd has led something of a tortured existance, having played the young version of Anakin in The Phantom Menace.  And last year things came to a head when Jake ran afoul of law enforcement in South Carolina.  I sincerely hope that he's able to turn things around for himself. 

Jake has had a tough time of things.  Especially since so many adult fans took to blaming him and his performance for not living up to their expectations for the Prequels.  It's that reaction to him that has really gotten me angry with fans who have been more than a bit overzealous.

Then there was Hayden Christensen in Episodes II and III.  He was a relative unknown, and had to step into a role that would be intensely scrutinized.  When it came to the physical aspects of the role he seemed up to the task.  But he was also in the unenviable position of having to play a character who was struggling with great power, trying to keep a romantic relationship under wraps, and speak in a way that was in line with the established pattern of dialogue of Darth Vader.

So how did Hayden deal with it?  He's performed in a handful of other movies, including the well regarded Shattered Glass.  But by and large Christensen seems to have distanced himself from Hollywood.  Check out this article about his semi-retirement from acting.  And once again, given the strong feelings of some overzealous Star Wars fans, I can't say that I blame him.

And then, there's what might have been.  Like?  Leonardo DiCaprio passing on the role of Anakin Skywalker.  In no way do I want to disparage the work of Hayden Christensen as Anakin.  I think that a lot of the trouble with that character was a product of the screenwriting of George Lucas.  But given how strong Leo's performances have been over the past decade plus?  It really makes me wonder what ATTACK OF THE CLONES and REVENGE OF THE SITH might have been like with Leo playing opposite Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid.

So, it begs the question:  was the role of Anakin Skywalker, to some degree, cursed?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.