New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Vintage Collection returns in 2018  (Read 1565 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: The Vintage Collection returns in 2018
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »

Hasbro kicked off "The Vintage Conversation" following Toy Fair.  And they've posed a number of questions to collectors about what they would like to see in the Vintage Collection.  Check out those questions below:

QUESTION 1
Today’s THE VINTAGE CONVERSATION QUESTION:

-WHAT ARE YOUR TOP THREE STAR WARS CHARACTER THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE AS SUPER-ARTICULATED FIGURES BEFORE?

You have to comment on the Hasbro Pulse Instagram page to participate.

QUESTION 2
Here is today's THE VINTAGE CONVERSATION QUESTION:

"What are your top 3 existing 3.75" Star Wars super-articulated figure would you like to see updated with new parts or deco to create a new version of that character or possibly even a totally new character? Name the figures and the parts. Be descriptive!"

QUESTION 3
And today's The Vintage Conversation question is:

"What are your top 3 3.75" Star Wars vehicles you would like to be newly created for The Vintage Collection? Link in our bio."

Sound off on the Hasbro Pulse Instagram page to let Hasbro know what you would like.

QUESTION 4
Here's The Vintage Conversation question for Friday, March 2nd:

"What are your top 3 existing 3.75" Star Wars super-articulated figures that you would like to see newly presented on a Vintage Collection cardback? Link in our bio."

QUESTION 5
Today's installment of The Vintage Conversation:

"What are your top 3 existing 3.75" Star Wars super-articulated Vintage Collection figures that you would like to see totally resculpted and re-released. Link in our bio."

Sound off on the Hasbro Pulse Instagram page to participate in the conversation!

QUESTION 6
Here is The Vintage Conversation question for March 3rd:

"What are your top 3 3.75" Star Wars environments / playsets you would like to be released in The Vintage Collection? Link in our bio."

The staff at Hasbro Pulse are now compiling the responses posted at the Hasbro Pulse Instagram page.

What did you vote for?  What do you want?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »

There are some Vintage Collection items that are on display at Hascon.  They've got a mockup of the new Imperial Combat Tank.  And they're also showing some of the reissue figures, plus new figures that include the Imperial Tank Driver an Supreme Leader Snoke.

Expect to see some more images later today!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »

Good point about character coverage from previous years.  I guess they have to balance the multitude of new fans with the old guard collectors - not an easy task.  They just need to pack in the troop builders.

There are still some select few versions of OT characters that might make for great vintage collection offerings.  A TVC version of Bespin escape Leia is a prime example of one that could be good for this line.  Or a really good ROTJ Emporer Palpatine.  Also, the ROGUE ONE Stormtrooper showed us that Hasbro could make a great Stormtrooper sculpted helmet in a 5POA figure that was much more accurate than some previous SA versions.  A new Stormtrooper that's far more screen accurate might be a good choice, too. But beyond that?  The choices for main characters who haven't really been touched upon before in something close to super-articulated form is kind of slim.  Background characters are another story, and there's still plenty of third tier Imperials and Rebels to pick from, along with aliens from Tatooine.

With the prequels I think that Padme in all of her incarnations offers some choices.  There really hasn't been a solid Senator Padme offered from either AOTC or ROTS.  And again, there are versions of Palpatine that haven't been touched upon, or previous versions weren't well done (AOTC emergency powers speech, ROTS office duel, declaration of the Empire).  There are some decent droids and aliens to choose from, too.

But I think the most fertile ground is the TV shows like Clone Wars and Rebels, along with the new movies.  Those have the most new characters to choose from:  core characters, troopers, background aliens, etc.  And I think staying current is going to be important for the line to stay relevant to the more casual fans, and they're the ones who help with the volume sales.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:08:26 AM by Nicklab »

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

I've been calling it the Sequel Trilogy.  Although "ST" hasn't really caught on so much yet.

Sequel Trilogy / "ST" sounds good to me!

Good point about character coverage from previous years.  I guess they have to balance the multitude of new fans with the old guard collectors - not an easy task.  They just need to pack in the troop builders. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »

I've been calling it the Sequel Trilogy.  Although "ST" hasn't really caught on so much yet.

I'd definitely like to see the new line run across the whole saga:  the prequels, Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, the OT, the Sequel Trilogy and video games. 

Clearly, a lot of the PT and OT have been well covered in terms of SA figures, but there are still some select holdouts that could make things interesting.  I think a big part of the focus should be on Rebels, Rogue One and the Sequel Trilogy.  The new/current entertainment options are areas where I think Hasbro could do some great stuff.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »

I hope we will get a nice smattering of OT and post-T (what is the abbreviation for the new films?) figures.  Rogue One had many awesome trooper designs (both rebel and imperial) that I would love to see in 1/18th scale (preferably without those damn Y-hip joints!!!!). 

I would also like to see hasbro revisit the Droids/Ewoks cartoon series.  I know I'm in the minority, but those cartoons were my first real introduction to the Star Wars universe so they hold special nostalgic value for me.  Unfortunately, in the unlikely event that this happens, I assume it will be some sort of exclusive figure set of repaints.  We did get Wicket and Kneesa, so there's a small possibility...maybe.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »

One thing that's been nagging at me is not really specific to the Vintage Collection.  That being the pace at which the movies are scheduled to be released.  The one movie a year plan has been REALLY aggressive for Star Wars.  And it's got me thinking that it could be tough for Hasbro to explore some of the more obscure characters that have made the action figure line interesting and diverse. 

But it does seem like things may be slowing down.  There are currently only three announced films in production (Episode 8 and 9, along with the Han Solo standalone film).  So maybe the toy lines will have a little time and space to breathe?

Be that as it may, what characters/figures are you all hoping for in this relaunched Vintage Collection?

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

I hope the line succeeds.  The 5 PoA figures are just so limited and boring (although I do reluctantly have nostalgic appeal for the Rogue One Stormtroopers). 

I have been pretty burned with the 1/18th scale figures.  I've got boxes of them and ultimately threw out a ton of my POTF2 figures.  The vintage collection was very refreshing with (mostly) uniform super-articulation and decent sculpts.  I tried buying a few of the Walmart super-articulated FO Troopers, but they have "Y" hip-joints instead of "T" hip-joints which is a huge pet peeve for me.  (I acknowledge this is probably an overreaction). 

I'll probably buy a few of the upcoming figures if they are interesting characters or could be customized.  After purchasing some Acid Rain World figures, I can see how far articulation has come with 1/18th scale figures; it is hard to go back to hasbro's version of super-articulated after that.

Hasbro's decision to unveil this decision with a repack of Rey, which is clogging the pegs at a discounted price at Walmart, seems like a wasted opportunity to generate interest in the line. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:46 AM »

The Vintage Collection of 2010 - 2013 was one of the best collections of figures we've had in the modern era.  There were great character choices and the TVC cards inspired more than their fair share of nostalgia.  Having a line like that come back is a big step in the right direction.

I am a little concerned that the first thing we're seeing is a reissue of the WalMart exclusive Rey (Jakku).  When we've seen lines that have initial waves loaded with reissues, the results aren't always good.  Now will having that reissue on a Vintage style card help?  Sometimes it does.  And Rey is one of the most important characters of the Sequel trilogy.  I think we have to wait and see what else is in store.

I am hopeful that the line will be good.  I'd really like to see some more ROGUE ONE characters get the super-articulated treatment, like Chirrut Imwe and K-2SO.  And in the case of ROGUE ONE I'm hoping more of the Scarif Stormtroopers find their way out with this line, because they sure didn't turn up at WalMart!

hokiepoker

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:16 AM »

I look forward to the new line but I just hope that the first wave isn't just a bunch of repacks from the Wal-Mart exclusives recently released. If they do a bunch of repacks these will likely clog the pegs and prevent retail from oedering second and third waves. Hasbro has a way of screwing things up but I do truly hope they approach things "eyes wide open" and try to keep the collector engaged with a nice mix of figures.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »

I have managed to stay away from buying any figures for a while now.   That is until the 6" 40th figs and now this announcement lol I love the vintage line so I will most likely be suckered into getting these :D
All Scalpers Must Die!! I poop on scalper scum !!

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
The Vintage Collection returns in 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »

Some of the biggest news from Hasbro to come out of Star Wars Celebration Orlando is the imminent return of The Vintage Collection.  It's set to happen in 2018.  And while 2017 may be the 40th anniversary of the theatrical release of A NEW HOPE, 2018 would mark the actual  40th anniversary of the Kenner Star Wars line's debut in 1978.

The first figure revealed for that line?  A reissue of Rey (Jakku) from the Walmart exclusive 3.75" Black Series.  Other figures that will follow are set to feature increased levels of articulation.

So what do you think of this turn of events?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 23 queries.