NJSWCC

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasbro 40th Anniversary Collection - DISCUSSION  (Read 2879 times)

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • Gregorbian's Customs
Re: Hasbro 40th Anniversary Collection - DISCUSSION
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »

I was able to score a Death Squad Commander and a Jawa today.  It's great that they are redoing the original figures.

Death Squad Commander is awesome.  Great articulation (albeit standard) and sculpt.  The head is appropriately generic.  Helmet is removable and easy to pop on and off.  The helmet stays on fine.  The tunic has a slit on each side by the hips to allow for excellent range of motion.  Minimal paint apps, but that's fine.  I had a bit of "flesh" paint on the chest of my figure (a few tiny drops that I didn't notice in the package) and the belt has some sloppy edging, but it's not that bad.  I love the design of this guy so I'll definitely try to pick up some more.  I wish they had given him a kepi (even if it wasn't accurate to the original figure or to the Imperial Officer uniform).  The only strange thing about the sculpt is his trigger finger - it is very "accusatory" and looks strange when he has his weapon holstered.

Jawa is a major disappointment.  I love Jawas and was really looking forward to this figure.  The sculpt is great.  The paint apps are minimal.  He could have used a black or dark brown wash to bring out the details on his robes and pouches.  The articulation is atrocious given the precedent set by this line.  The lower robe negates any leg movement.  I ended up extended the slit on each side of the robe to increase the range for the legs, but it is still limited.  The legs have single ball-jointed knees which, due to the sculpt, can barely bend 30 degrees.  Ridiculous and inexcusable.  They should have made a base figure and a cloth robe.  He can barely hold his gun(s) and even when they are in his hand, he is unable to get in to any semblance of a shooting pose (like the one pictured on the cardfront).  My plans of army building this guy have been severly dampened.  I might pick up a couple more to try to customize, but I'm not really sure what I would do with them since I can't sew new robes.   :-\
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

I have STILL not seen an R2 at retail YET!!?? WTF!? lol  I need another one to open!   I opened up han and his joints are actually quite good, Vader's joints are so awful, if you pick him up his feet are floppy!  I have only seen the 40AC figures at gamestop/thinkgeek, Walgreens and at only ONE of the Walmarts around me, and when I did see them I only saw leia, luke and obi-wan. Distribution sucks ass! 
All Scalpers Must Die!! I poop on scalper scum !!

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »

And then Hasbro did a straight-up reissue of that figure with Greedo in the TRU exclusive Cantina showdown 2-pack.  And that set was priced at over $40.  IIRC, it may have been $50 or $60.  I looked at those sets on shelves for years and shook my head, wondering what Hasbro had been thinking since Han Solo and Greedo were both readily available in the single pack releases already.

Funny enough, I did an eBay search for that TRU pack that I had originally scoffed at.  The least that they're selling for is about $80.  WHU?!?!?!

Wow, those Han/Greedo 2-packs pegwarmed like crazy at TRU - I was able to pick up a few sets at $20 each (same with the Biker Scouts!)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »

Honestly?  I'm kind of surprised that Han Solo is so scarce.  The reason being that when that figure was first offered in the 2nd wave of the 6" Black Series around 2013, Han was EVERYWHERE!  That figure lingered on pegs for years. 

And then Hasbro did a straight-up reissue of that figure with Greedo in the TRU exclusive Cantina showdown 2-pack.  And that set was priced at over $40.  IIRC, it may have been $50 or $60.  I looked at those sets on shelves for years and shook my head, wondering what Hasbro had been thinking since Han Solo and Greedo were both readily available in the single pack releases already.

Funny enough, I did an eBay search for that TRU pack that I had originally scoffed at.  The least that they're selling for is about $80.  WHU?!?!?!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »

Also has anyone opened any of these figures yet?  I opened up the Vader, his joints are so loose he barely stands!  I can stand him up and he will start to slump over then fall over within a few seconds ...wtf lol
Uh oh!  Is that a common issue?  I've been debating whether to get the new Vader or just paint my Walgreens Vader's helmet.  I'm surprised the joints would be loose since they should have fixed those kinds of issues by now. 

I've opened up R2 (the only 40th AC figure I've purchased so far) and he is fine.  I like the Bandai model kit much more, but you can never have enough R2's I guess.

So far I have only seen the 40th AC figures at Gamestop (and Thinkgeek).  The distribution definitely seems bizarre and I expect lots of Luke/Leia/Obi-Wan pegwarmers. 

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »

Same here Nick every gamestop I have checked have only had Multiple Leia's and Luke's   The distribution sucks and the fact they only put one R2 and one Han per case is a pain in the rear!!  I still haven't seen an R2 at retail yet, luckily I preordered one on amazon a while back.

Also has anyone opened any of these figures yet?  I opened up the Vader, his joints are so loose he barely stands!  I can stand him up and he will start to slump over then fall over within a few seconds ...wtf lol

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »

So I stopped in a GameStop right near my office.  Sorry, no store report (I do want to maintain A LITTLE PRIVACY.  Sorry, not sorry).

But I was really surprised by my 40AC sighting at this store.  Some 9 x 40AC Leia's, but not a single other figure.  WHA?!?!?!?

Distribution does seem to be a little odd with this line.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »

I want to know why they short packed Han and R2.  Would it simply better just have evenly packed?  My days of doing toy runs have slow down a lot with the 2 kids.  Hopefully I can find them this week.  I finally check my list and still missing the 6" black series General Hux and Asty. Were these 2 ever hit retail?

I saw Hux & Atsy one time at TRU and I passed on them at the time.  And then that wave got really scarce!  Then the wave turned up online, and eventually at GameStop stores.

I'm pretty sure that I saw an Atsy on clearance somewhere recently, but I'm blanking on just where.

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »

The 40AC line is one of the most relevant things in Star Wars collecting at the moment.  What are your thoughts on the line at this time?

Oh, and Hasbro is really having some fun with this.  Check out this video they've produced to commemorate the 40th Anniversary:
Star Wars 40th Anniversary - OG Figures Join Forces w/ Modern in the Ultimate Light vs. Dark Battle

That video was great, thanks for posting that!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:49:57 AM by Nicklab »

Gregorbian

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
    • Gregorbian's Customs
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

I finally check my list and still missing the 6" black series General Hux and Asty. Were these 2 ever hit retail?

I only saw them once at Target (if I recall correctly), but I saw them a bunch of times at Gamestop.  Amazon had Asty for $19-something for a while (it is now $26).  I don't think I've ever seen the Snowtrooper wave on the pegs (fortunately Amazon has Snowtroopers for $18ish), and I only saw the Scariff Squad Leader once. 

Han Solo was pegwarming for a while (also, the TRU exclusive Han Solo/Greedo 2-packs were clearanced out), so I get why they shortpacked him.  I only saw R2 once on the pegs in the original wave, so I don't understand why they shortpacked him.  I agree in concept about Nick's point regarding Obi-Wan - doesn't make sense since he was just released and, apparently, readily available; however I can't agree in practice since I have never seen that wave at retail.   :P

Overall, I like the 40AC figures.  I might pick up another Han Solo for customs, and I still haven't picked up Leia or Obi-Wan (debating whether I will bother).  I am pretty keen on the upcoming new figures.  I still need Vader but the $40 price tag is a bit painful since I don't care about the display.  The Jawa looks great (I wish they gave him softgood robes instead of the flexible rubber - same for the Sandperson's lower robes).  The Death Squad Commander looks amazing and I hope to pick up a bunch. 

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »

I think that the 40AC cases are packed 8 figures per case.  In the case of wave 1 that case pack is:

2 x Princess Leia Organa
2 x Luke Skywalker
2 x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 x Han Solo
1 x R2-D2

I *KIND OF* get why they shortpacked Han Solo.  He was in the second wave of the 6" Black Series, and he did turn into a bit of a pegwarmer.  I think R2-D2 is a different case, though, and has been very much in demand.  Getting Artoo back into circulation would have been a wise move.

I get packing Leia 2 per case, since they fixed the head and paint apps.  I'm not crazy about buying this figure again for that fix/running change, but the original version looks kind of bad in comparison.  So the fix is welcome.  But the other two figures are head scratchers.  Luke was available in the TBS 6" figure line last year.  Obi-Wan was a general release THIS YEAR, and was also available in the 2016 convention exclusive set.  Packing Obi-Wan 2 per case is very strange to me, especially when there's significant demand for R2-D2.

Aurrasing666

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • " Why So Serious?... "
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »

Hasblo's distribution of all of their figures leave something to be desired. It's so freakin' annoying!!  I have found the 40th Anniv figures but only at Gamestop, and even then I found all but R2 :/ :(  I haven't even SEEN these figures (wave 1) at Walmart yet and there are reports of people finding wave 2 already!  WTFFFFFF. 

Darth Wallet

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • Hunting for Toys Across the Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »

I want to know why they short packed Han and R2.  Would it simply better just have evenly packed?  My days of doing toy runs have slow down a lot with the 2 kids.  Hopefully I can find them this week.  I finally check my list and still missing the 6" black series General Hux and Asty. Were these 2 ever hit retail?

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Hasbro 40th Anniversary Collection - DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:26 AM »

The 40AC line is one of the most relevant things in Star Wars collecting at the moment.  What are your thoughts on the line at this time?

Oh, and Hasbro is really having some fun with this.  Check out this video they've produced to commemorate the 40th Anniversary:
Star Wars 40th Anniversary - OG Figures Join Forces w/ Modern in the Ultimate Light vs. Dark Battle
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 23 queries.

anything