New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New to the NJSWCC? Introduce yourself in the New Members forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Live Action Series (Disney Streaming Service) - Coming in 2019  (Read 763 times)

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council

New reports indicate that Jon Favreau's live action Star Wars television series will be going into production in late 2018.

Expectations are that the series will be on Disney's streaming television platform, and may be released in the Fall of 2019. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea!"

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council

Jon Favreau was talking about the new live action series at the Solo Premiere last night, and some details will be posted soon on Nerdist.  The short version from Twitter:

Exclusive: @Jon_Favreau confirms that his live action #StarWars series takes place 7 years after Battle of Endor, between #ReturnOfTheJedi and #TheForceAwakens. Will feature all new characters, using cutting edge tech a la THE JUNGLE BOOK. Story coming to @nerdist...

Favreau also spoke with the StarWars.com crew on the red carpet.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council

Check out the news from the Official Site:

JON FAVREAU TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE AND WRITE LIVE-ACTION STAR WARS SERIES

THE DIRECTOR OF IRON MAN AND THE JUNGLE BOOK WILL HELM THE SERIES FOR DISNEY’S NEW DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER PLATFORM.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform. Favreau is no stranger to the Star Wars galaxy having played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

Favreau is thrilled to be returning to the Star Wars galaxy: “If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Disney’s collaborations with Favreau extend back a decade, when he helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios. For Disney, he directed and produced the massively successful The Jungle Book, which won an Academy Award for its groundbreaking visual effects. He is currently in production on Disney’s highly anticipated reimagining of The Lion King, set for release in 2019.

The untitled Star Wars live-action series does not yet have a release date.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Re: Star Wars Live Action Series (Disney Streaming Service) - Coming in 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »

Disney chief Bob Iger was doing some press today in conjunction with Disney's corporate earnings announcements.  And he had some things to say about Star Wars:

Disney working on ‘a few’ Star Wars series exclusive to stand-alone streaming service

No more information at this time
By Julia Alexander  Feb 6, 2018, 5:16pm EST

Multiple Star Wars series are in the works exclusively for Disney’s upcoming stand-alone streaming service, Disney CEO Bob Iger said today.

Iger made the announcement during an investor call when asked about Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss’ involvement in a new series of Star Wars films. Iger said Benioff and Weiss did not express an interest in working on a Star Wars television series, but instead wanted to develop multiple films based on a moment in Star Wars mythology.

“Their interest was in creating a series of films that are Star Wars-based, and we’ve actually been talking to them for a long time,” Iger said. “They’re focused on a point in time in Star Wars mythology, and we’re taking it from there.

In addition, Iger said there are “a few Star Wars series specifically” being created for Disney’s upcoming app. Iger didn’t provide any information about any of the series — including whether they’re live-action or animated — but did say that once a deal is finalized on the first series, Disney will make an announcement. The CEO added that “talent on the television front is significant,” and said people will be pleased with the creators the company is talking to.

The news of additional series comes just a few months after Disney confirmed that a live-action Star Wars series, which will be exclusive to the stand-alone streaming app, was in development.

Disney’s stand-alone streaming service will launch in late 2019, Iger said today. The company has not given a subscription price at this time, but the service is expected to cost significantly less than Netflix’s standard $10.99-per-month subscription.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »

The news of the Rian Johnson helmed trilogy was a shock.  But this announcement coming before the release of THE LAST JEDI speaks volumes of Lucasfilm's confidence in Johnson's work

As for the television series?  I suspected that a new TV series was in the works.  There had been rumblings that another animated TV series might be in development following the end of REBELS.  And there has been a good deal of praise directed towards showrunner Dave Filoni, with a lot of regard for his direct work alongside George Lucas during the run of CLONE WARS.  Now I'm seeing people talking about the possibility of Filoni being a creative force behind this new series.  I do see the potential challenges of someone making the leap from animation to live action.  But I've also seen a great deal of positive feedback from the actors who have worked on REBELS and CLONE WARS about their experiences working with Dave Filoni, and his penchant for strong storytelling, along with his knowledge base in Star Wars.

And then there's the matter of HOW do they pull off a tv series.  I think a shorter run, like we see on cable and streaming services is the way to go.  A 12 or 13 episode run per season works if you're going for an hour long show.  Considering the fact that Disney will be looking at this show as a centerpiece of their new streaming service?  They need to deliver a good show.

So what ground would the story cover?  That seems to be the big question.  Does it cover the Dark Times between ROTS and ANH?  What about the period between ROTJ and TFA, where the fight between the Rebellion and the Empire was going to draw to an end?  The questions seem endless at this point.

Matthew

• Full Access
  • Jedi Council
  • OT Loose - PT Carded
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:01 AM »

Both these ideas worry me.  You can always have too much of a good thing.
What I posted was true.....from a certain point of view.

Nicklab

• NJSWCC E.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Council
Star Wars Live Action Series (Disney Streaming Service) - Coming in 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »

It's long been talked about, but it finally seems to be happening:

New ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy in Works With Rian Johnson, TV Series Also Coming to Disney Streaming Service

About that show:

Disney has closed a deal with director Rian Johnson to develop a new “Star Wars” trilogy, and it is planning a live-action “Star Wars” TV series to air on its entertainment streaming service that is expected to launch by the end of 2019.

Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger announced the “Star Wars” news during the company’s quarterly earnings call. In addition to the “Star Wars” TV series, Disney is working on TV series adaptations of Pixar’s “Monsters Inc.,” the Disney Channel’s “High School Musical” franchise and an original entry from Marvel.

Of the nascent entertainment-focused streaming service, Iger said Disney would produce four to five original movies a year for the service, in addition to the original TV series. Iger said it would not have traditional advertising in the form of commercials. Sponsorship opportunities may be available, however.

Iger also said he expects the Disney-branded streaming service to be priced “substantially below” Netflix’s $10.99 a month because the service will have less content overall. “The price will reflect that,” he said. “Our goal is to attract as many subs as possible starting out.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 22 queries.